Lighthouse Core - can't turn it OFF...?

MagicElf
MagicElf Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
edited September 2022 in LIGHTS & LANTERNS

Woke up in middle of night & saw a bright light coming from kitchen... My LIGHTHOUSE CORE was ON & shinning Bright...

I had not used it in well over 3 weeks... It had remained OFF since last use, and was sitting on my kitchen counter...

What made it turn ON? (No one around to turn it ON) - It turned ON all by itself! I tried to turn it OFF - NOPE! Fidgiting with the On-Off-Brighten-Dim Dial - NOPE, only went Bright and Dim.

It will NO LONGER SWITCH OFF - What's going on?

Answers

• GOAL ZERO ADMIN
    GOAL ZERO ADMIN Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 601 admin

Hi @MagicElf

We are sorry to hear about the issue with your Lighthouse Core. Something you can try is turning it all the way on and letting it drain to 0%. If that does not work please email us with your proof of purchase and also include a photo with the light on in the off position.

support@goalzero.com

• Wen
    Wen Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited July 2022
  • GOAL ZERO ADMIN
    edited July 2022

Hi @Wen

If you are experiencing this issue we recommend turning the lantern all the way on and letting it drain to 0%. If that does not work please email us with your proof of purchase and also include a photo with the light on in the off position.

support@goalzero.com

• Drhelmerjr
    Drhelmerjr Member Posts: 1 ✭✭

This is funny. I am also having this problem. I've drained it down. Will be doing the rest as recommended.

• ittybittykitty
    ittybittykitty Member Posts: 2 ✭✭

Yup me too. I've had mine at least 3 yrs never an issue. Haven't used it in several months & same thing happened, saw light coming from another room. I've read about this issue on other sites recently. They're fix doesn't work & I'm not taking it apart to try & fix it myself. Would appreciate a new model...

• ittybittykitty
    ittybittykitty Member Posts: 2 ✭✭

Their not they're...

• Ing
    Ing Member Posts: 1 ✭✭

Hi, have the same problem too, will write to the support.

• GOAL ZERO ADMIN

Hi @ittybittykitty,

If the above solutions did not work, please contact our solution center with the link below to look into warranty options.

• Nathan123
    Nathan123 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭

The warranty route is well and good. However, is there a way for us to actually fix it?

Is there a replacement part that can be provided? Could you provide us with the schematics?

Has the "turning it all the way on and letting it drain to 0%." worked for anyone here?

• Nathan123
    Nathan123 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭

I've got to the control board - made well to be easy to disassemble and disconnect.

I've been able to note what some of the parts do but having the diagram for it would make the job a lot easier.

• Liquidore
    Liquidore Member Posts: 1 ✭✭

My Lighthouse 400 finally succumbed to this malady. After years on the shelf with infrequent camping use, it suddenly turned itself on. I can turn the switch left and get only one element slightly lit (right is both elements on), but never "off". I'm trying to drain the battery now and hopefully reset what-ever watch-dog is built-in. Let me know if anyone else has success with that.

• k2ted
    k2ted Member Posts: 1 ✭✭

My Lighthouse Mini has done the same. Won't turn off when with in mid position. Single side on constantly, but slightly dimmed. Fully rotated clockwise (full light mode) still single sided dimmed. Rotated anti-clockwise it brightens single-side as per normal.

• SimplySophie
    SimplySophie Member Posts: 1 ✭✭

I’ve had the same issue with the 400 refusing to turn off. Gave up using it after first camping trip as it wouldn’t turn off from the beginning. After testing in the house and draining down a few times, but same problem, was returning to where it was purchased, and embarrassingly it turned off in the store! Maybe motion helped?

Took home but old problem re-surfaced. Was put in storage, so it’s been a couple of years at least without use, but I got it out this week, charges up perfectly, two sides work as intended, but off central button still clicks but won’t turn light off.

So disappointing to read others having the same issue. I’m in the UK and this was bought from Go Outdoors.

• wildwoodflower
    wildwoodflower Member Posts: 1 ✭✭

Lighthouse mini--the blue charging led's stay on and don't turn off. Charger no longer connected and they are still on.

• BobS
    BobS Member Posts: 1 ✭✭

Well, this seems to be much more common than I expected. I have had this same problem for the last several years since I purchased it. I usually just let the battery run out and when I recharged it there was no issue. Now it will not turn off during recharging. Sounds like there is no good fix.

• glenflodstrom
    glenflodstrom Member Posts: 1 ✭✭

I just got home from RAGBRAI. I used my Goal Zero 600 lantern. Last night, the red, flashing emergency light turned on by itself. I press the red triangle button but It won't turn off. What do you suggest?

I purchased it via Amazon last summer when my son went to Zion NP. He didn't experience any issues.

I look forward to hearing from you regarding this issue.

Thanks,

Glen

• GOAL ZERO ADMIN
    edited August 2023

HI @glenflodstrom,

If the above solutions did not work, please contact our solution center with the link below to look into warranty options.

• Lightbulb
    Lightbulb Member Posts: 2 ✭✭

Oct 20th 2023 - I my light house core slowly declined into one side slowly turning on while I watch it setting on the shelf below my bedroom tv! It took a moment but after checking, it had all the symptoms as listed in this thread. Decided to check my “light out kit” which has two lighthouse mini’s and notes one wasn’t operational. Because the mini allows battery change, I was able to determine it was a dead battery and that one of the mini also had the same issue!

I evaluated if replacing the lanterns was worth it but after maintain the three lanterns for over ten years, reliability in an emergency is the real issue.

To the point and my solution; I am an experienced semiconductor engineer and by observation of the failure mode, and a few measurements (no schematics) on the control pcb, it appears like a leakage or connect issue. I also noted a white powdery stain on the pcb on both sides. I inspected the battery and didn’t note any issues. So I removed the pcb and cleaned the assembly with a (tooth)brush and isopropyl alcohol. Used can air to blow dry, and let it set in the sun for a day!

I inspected for a connection issue but the failure mode isn’t reacting to match the issue.

I Reassemble the unit and it worked!! - for about three days and the issue came back. In the business, we address leakage issue by soaking the pcb in a untrasonic tank of IPA then drying it in a oven. I don’t have access to such a tank so I did the procedure again and this time the lantern worked for about two days before same symptoms.

So my fix was to jumper the working side of the LEDs to the fail side, then install a SPST switch between the positive connection of the battery and PCB.

map now the lantern works very well and is dimmable without the option of using one side only.

the power switch has to be on selected and the light dimmer to its lowest setting. The battery charge indicator works well and the battery does get charged.

I mounted the switch in the lantern bottom cup.

• Lightbulb
    Lightbulb Member Posts: 2 ✭✭

BTW, the usb charging connection also works very well and with use of an inexpensive power bank, with the switch in the off position, the bank easily powers the lantern.

• TominMaine
    TominMaine Member Posts: 1 ✭✭

My Litehouse 250 exhibited the problems mentioned above about a year ago and is now useless. The lamp is 3 years old and I don't have the receipt (it was a gift from my son). This thing was used on 3-4 camping trips and during a couple of power outages during this time. I called their tech support today and, while the rep was very nice, the best that GoalZero could do was offer me 20% discount off buying a new lamp. It was a bit underwhelming, considering what my son paid for this lamp originally.

It is stunning that GoalZero does not offer a repair kit or solution other the suggesting that users drain the battery and pray it will fix it. I appreciate the solution proposed by "Lightbulb" above, but I don't have access to an "ultrasonic tank of IPA" nor do I know how to install an "SPST switch."

This lamp will now go to a landfill or recycler. Not a very good testament for sustainability or eco-friendliness given the GoalZero motto of "....respect for the planet, and a humanitarian heart."