Charging with a wind mill??

Options
JMemember
JMemember Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
edited June 2022 in ASK ANYTHING

I wanted to buy one of the systems , but also wanted to buy a windmill from amazon and see if I can also charge at night when the wind blows and the sun is not out. Can I charge the battery with such a wind mill?

what voltage should I get 12VAC , 24vdc....etc

Thanks J

Answers

• myturbe
    myturbe Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    Options

Did you get a response?

Im also looking for wind charging.

• jg164
    jg164 Administrator, Moderator Posts: 292 admin
    Options

Hi @JMemember,

Wind turbines in the 400W range like the two you posted seem to be designed to charge a stand alone lead acid battery array at 12V DC (or 24V DC if you have some combination in series ).

Connecting the output of the wind turbine directly into the input ports of a Yeti may not work well because you would be chaining multiple charge controllers in series and 12V is below the useable voltage limit of 14V for most Yetis.

I think VEVOR (Model 6) would work best with a Goal Zero Yeti Lithium power station if its 12V output was connected to at least one, maybe 2 Yeti Tank Expansion Batteries that are connected to a Yeti Link Expansion Module – Goal Zero that is connected to a 1000X, 1500X, 3000X, or 6000X. If you try to connect right to the back of the Link without a battery it may not work well.

All of my comments are untested ideas. If you do experiment, please reply here and let me know what happens!

• tee
    tee Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

I also need to hook up a wind turbine to my 1500 yeti for cloudy days. I hope someone can figure it out

• Thomas_Darby
    Thomas_Darby Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    Options

I intend to buy a 1500W petrol fueled generator to charge my Yeti 1500X on cloudy days.

I am sure a windmill would work, but ...

You will need to get someone to help you create regulated power to plug into the Yeti, and you may find that that step is more costly than you figure.

If you do figure it out, I am eager to hear what we need to do.

• scottr
    scottr Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    Options

So the atlas 4.0 wind turbine is 3 phase to a controller that puts out 48volts. I think I can setup the wind turbine and controller and connect right from the controller to the hpp port which is 48volts, any thoughts on that?

• jg164
    jg164 Administrator, Moderator Posts: 292 admin
    Options

@scottr ,

24V would be more ideal. Though the max input is listed as 50V, I have seen where a Yeti does not work well with an input over 37V. All GZ panels track to 16-22V for MPP.

If you have already purchased a 48V CC, you may get enough of a voltage drop with a long cable run to make it work in the event that your yeti does not tolerate 48V.

• tee
    tee Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

we need goal zero to come up with wind power alternative for there yetis !!!