Yeti 300/500/700 technical questions before buy

Options
Ely
Ely Member Posts: 30 ✭✭

After one month on market there are no reviews/tests from the new Yeti somewhere in the web (except Amazon, but it's influencer rigmarole 🙄). Before I buy (if available in the EU) there are some technical questions.

• Minimal wattage to start solar charging? (very imported)
  • Efficiency of AC?
  • Efficiency of 12 volt and USB?
  • Flap removable? (use most inside the cabin)

Best Answer

• GOAL ZERO ADMIN
    GOAL ZERO ADMIN Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 633 admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Ely,

Please see below for the information you requested.

• Minimal wattage to start solar charging? (very imported)

Voltage is what really matters when charging from solar panel. The minimum voltage required to trigger charging is 12.3V. We have seen a little as 50 mA work at that voltage.

• Efficiency of AC?

The AC efficiency is at 85% at max load

• Efficiency of 12 volt and USB?

The DC efficiency is at 90% at max load

• Flap removable? (use most inside the cabin)

The flap is removable, however this does remove the IPX rating on it. This means it will no longer be water resistant.

Answers

• Ely
    Options

Nobody? GZ, you know it 😉

Background. I have a little cabin. Outside a Boulder 200 BC, inside at first a Yeti 1000x to have some lights, charge my MacBook and my phone and run a little water pump. The weather is often cloudy, covered, sun the whole day is rare. The 200 BC gives at a covered sky about 15 - 20 watts. And the Yeti does not charge, it needs at minimum 20 watts to start charging. And runs down to 10% and I put it in my car, drive around to charge with the alternator. Not the purpose to use a solar generator.

So I replace the Yeti with a Jackery Explorer 1000 (old model, not the Pro). The Jackery starts from the first incoming watt and at the end of the day I got 150 - 200 Wh charge. More than enough for the daily use.

A little Yeti 300 complete this setup and allow a versatile usage. But only it starts charging from the first watt and don't need 10 or more watt to start solar charging.

Otherwise I use a Jackery Explorer 240. The efficiency of this thing is great, charging from the first watt. I preferring GZ, but if I got no information ... 😐️

• Ely
    Options

Perfect, it sounds very good. So a 300 will complete my setup (if available in Europe)