Is it possible to charge a Yeti 3000 from a bike generator (an alternator powered by a bike)?

Options
jpnelson
jpnelson Member Posts: 2 ✭✭

OK, first off, I COMPLETELY understand that charging a Yeti power station from a bike will take FOREVER and that it's really inefficient and all of that. This is not about the speed and efficiency of charging my power station. This is about motivating me to ride the bike trainer more. If I knew that the energy that I was expending was being saved, it would motivate me to ride the bike more. I can sustain 200-300 watts for an hour already, so I think I could do one kilowatt-hour in a week. And that would be a TON of calories.

Back to the question: I can attach a Yeti Link to my car alternator. Can I attach it to an alternator that is powered by a bike? If so, what is the maximum wattage, voltage, and amperage that I should get for the alternator?

Thanks!

Answers

• GOAL ZERO ADMIN
    GOAL ZERO ADMIN Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 633 admin
    Options

Hi @jpnelson,

Please see the inputs maximum of the Yet 3000X below.

• jpnelson
    jpnelson Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

OK, but the Yeti Link is designed to attach directly to a car alternator so that you can charge from your car either while driving or while parked. Does the alternator need to be attached to a car? If I'm powering the alternator, it would have a much more fluctuating current than a car... would that damage the Yeti?

• GOAL ZERO ADMIN
    GOAL ZERO ADMIN Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 633 admin
    Options

Hi @jpnelson,

This isn't something we have tested but it if you can keep the voltage above 13.3V, then charging it this way would work. The voltage fluctuation should not damage the Yeti link or Yeti power station.