YETI 200X strange behavior with wall charger 8mm

Options
umfried
umfried Member Posts: 3 ✭✭

Dears,

when trying to charge my YETI 200X using the wall charger (8mm, rear input) a low buzzer tune keeps beeping rhythmically (every second) and the Battery gets discharged as if I would run a 60Watt device with it. I have not tested the solar behavior yet.

I bought the YETI approx. 2 years ago and had not problems with it since.

All output ports are still working fine. I can charge the battery via USB-C without problems too.

The restart procedure - described in a couple of posts - via 12V and AC-Port buttons does not restart anything on the device. Draining to zero did not help either.

Please do not only tell me that you have had the same issues with your device. What I need is the conclusion/solution you have found (perhaps together with the support). I have no guarantee options anymore.

Keep well

Comments

• umfried
    Options

It is about the 200X Europa Version.

• GOAL ZERO ADMIN
    GOAL ZERO ADMIN Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 633 admin
    Options

Hi @umfried,

We suggest checking to see if other 8mm sources do the same thing. If they don't, this might be an issue with the power supply you are using.

When charging via power supply, does the blue lightning sign come on the display? If so, is it solid or flashing?

• umfried
    Options

Hi,

OK, thanks for your swift reply. I had a closer look. Here is an update to the behavior today.

I have taken another 8mm power supply from a brand new YETI200X (which has arrived today). The behavior is simular to that of the original power supply.

I have measured the current: Just 8 Watt which is needed by the transformer/rectifiier when it is Idle (not plugged into the YETI). There is no current. The transformers blue light is on. The device stays cold.

On the YETI (now charged at 94% via USB-C):

• Blue light on the screen is on, not flashing. However I believe having it seen flashing when I first reported here on the issue (forgive me, 50 50 chance that I remember correctly)
    • The buzzer tune today comes two to five times and rightafter plugging in the 8mm power supply. After that there is a long silence. However just sporadically - once and again - one or a hand ful buzzer tunes come again. Most of the time there is no buzzer tune anymore today.
    • When I switch on an USB-Port or the AC-Port: you hear one to three buzzer tunes. At the AC-Port you hear some times some more tunes (every second) for like 10 seconds.
    • Twice, when pressing an USB-Port-Button: 8 times (4 per second) I have heard very low technical clacking noises are to hear in the YETI. But I cannot re-trigger that behavior at the moment. This is gone.
    • Today the YETI does not discharge at all.

The YETI has never left my home. It is on standby, dry and cool in the corner. I have used the 12V port for driving a camping device. Approx. 1 hour every year. That was it.

After every charging procedure the external power is switched off until it is around 50% charge. Then it gets rechared - usually to 100%.

How can all that make sense to you ;-). Do not hesitate to tell me truth…. The thing is dead soon, no?

Kind regards

• GOAL ZERO ADMIN
    GOAL ZERO ADMIN Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 633 admin
    Options

Hi @umfried,

It sounds like the Yeti 200X has had a malfunction on the charge controller. Usually the buzzing noise you hear (or beeps) after plugging in the power supply means that there is an error or malfunction. You may not be able to charge it via the 8mm port anymore. You can continue charging via the USB-C at the same rate as the charger that came with the unit.