Yeti 700 Charging Issue

Options
PPD417
PPD417 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭

A few days ago, I took delivery of a Yeti 700. I charged it overnight, via a wall outlet, to 100%. The following day, I noticed it had dropped to 96% while still plugged in. The unit had nothing plugged into it to draw any current. I contacted tech support and was told to reset the unit, discharge the battery then recharge, which I did, twice. I again left it plugged in overnight and this morning it again showed 96%. I unplugged it, then plugged it back in and it charged to 100%, but I guarantee in a few hours, it'll drop back to 96%.

I purchased this particular Yeti for a long, off-grid camping trip I had planned at the beginning of May. If this device is going to discharge 4%-5% in just five hours with no current draw, I can't rely on it for my upcoming trip. Unless there is another solution to fix this problem, I have no other recourse but to return / exchange my Yeti 700 for another 700.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to why this is happening and how I can fix it short of exchanging the unit for a new one?

Comments

• GOAL ZERO ADMIN
    GOAL ZERO ADMIN Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 633 admin
    Options

Hi @PPD417,

Are you leaving any of the ports on or are you shutting the Yeti all the way off? Where you are you leaving the Yeti when this happens? Is it somewhere that could get very cold or very warm?

• PPD417
    edited April 5
    Options

All ports are off and the power cord is plugged in which appears to keep the device on.

The Yeti is in an insulated garage where the night temps inside never get below 50 deg. F.

I unplugged it this morning a 6:00 AM, and left it that way for about an hour. Plugged it back in, charged

to 100% then it slowly dropped down to 96%.

• GOAL ZERO ADMIN
    GOAL ZERO ADMIN Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 633 admin
    Options

Hi @PPD417,

Does it continue to drop below 96% or does it stop there and sit there? This might be an issue with calibration and cycling the battery (discharging it to 20% and charging it back up to 100%) 5-6 times may fix this issue.

• PPD417
    Options

It just drops to 96% and stays there.