Venture 30 losing charge

Options
GeoffL
GeoffL Member Posts: 2 ✭✭

My Venture 30 loses charge when not in use. Any ideas why, or what to do?

Answers

• jg164
    jg164 Administrator, Moderator Posts: 291 admin
    edited April 9
    Options

@GeoffL,

Some self-discharge is natural for any current battery technology. This is why we recommend planning to recharge goal zero power products periodically to keep them ready to use. See the User Guide page for recommendations for each product.

Overtime rechargeable batteries can loose capacity and have greater self-discharge rates due to age, charge cycles, how often it was charged or discharged in heat or cold.

That being said, how old is the unit?
    How many times has it been recharged?
    How fast does it go from full to empty with nothing connected and the lights off at room temperature?

• GeoffL
    GeoffL Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

Hi, thanks for that information.

I'd say the bettery is about three years old. It has spent several months at a time without charge or use. The issue mentioned only started recently. The blue lights come on when the battery is being moved (but not used), and the battery appears to lose charge because the lights are on, which is an issue when you are carrying it in a backpack on a long hike.

I am unable to answer the last question, ie how fast does it lose charge.

Is the issue related to the lights continually coming on when the batery is moved?

• jg164
    jg164 Administrator, Moderator Posts: 291 admin
    Options

The Venture 30 came out years ago before I started working here but after some searching I found the product page!
    https://goalzero.com/products/venture-30-power-bank?_pos=26&_sid=2592a1073&_ss=r

Lots of reviews on that page are mentioning similar sounding issues. Some people found that leaving USB cords unplugged helped. Other people said it does not seem to help and the unit is on all the time and it can't hold a charge. Since this is a common issue I would call customer support and see if there is anything they can do for you.
    https://goalzero.com/pages/contact

The question I asked about how fast it goes from full to empty does not need to be a precision test. What I was looking for was something like these examples:
    "After charging it to full, I left it on a table indoors and checked the LED battery level indicator occasionally. After only 2 days it was empty and would not respond to button presses."

"After charging it to full, I noticed the LED battery indicators showed it was at one led after 1 day"