3rd party solar panel

Options
Kevin_monnat13
Kevin_monnat13 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭

Hi GoalZero

Ive been using my gz1500x for quite a long time and been very happy about it

i was charging it with the solar panel nomad 200. I finally install a victron (spm043602400) solar panel on the roof of my van. 360W below 50V as described in the user manual

Today with the nomad 200 i achieved 142W maximum. When with the victron i get only 40-50 W. Without cloud. With my experience i should got about 250W… And it wasn’t stable… getting 40W then 0W then back 40W.

The voltage at the connector (power pole) without load is 40.5V. Plugged into the mppt input on the front panel

the cable section is 10mm2. We have no bad connection. We double check the wiring. And the tension on the connector side is stable and not flickering

Answers

• GOAL ZERO ADMIN
    GOAL ZERO ADMIN Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 662 admin
    Options

Hi @Kevin_monnat13,

Does the Victron solar panel have a charge controller pre installed to it? If so, this may be what is causing the issue as the Yeti already comes with an integrated charge controller.

Does the Nomad 200 also have the stability problem you described?

Could you send pictures of the set up? The panel itself, the cables used and so on.

• jg164
    jg164 Administrator, Moderator Posts: 332 admin
    edited May 15
    Options

@Kevin_monnat13,

The MPPT on the 1500X is tuned to maximize power for Goal Zero panels, all of which have an operational voltage range of 16-20V and Voc range of 21-24V.

The only way I know to get the most of 3rd party panels that have high voltage is to use the 30 Amp Victron kit to send the power through the Link into the Yeti.

Please see this comment for a picture and setup of what I am talking about. Substitute your 350W Victron panel for the Boulder solar panel setup, no adapters or combiners needed.