Pulling excessive amps with countertop appliances on 1500x

Options
EnkiduPhil
EnkiduPhil Member Posts: 3 ✭✭

I recently plugged in my espresso machine and a toaster(not at the same time) and both pulled 70amps. Can someone explain why this is happening? In the kitchen these appliances are on a 20amp circuit.

Answers

• Zion_Curtain
    Zion_Curtain Member Posts: 155 ✭✭✭
    Options

@EnkiduPhil

Can you send a photo of the Yeti's screen? I usually set my Yeti to output wattage.

• jg164
    jg164 Administrator, Moderator Posts: 332 admin
    Options

@EnkiduPhil

Here are a couple of possibilities:
    1. Power Factor. I have seen heat guns and hair dryers cause strange display values. Turns out then way they adjust their power level makes measuring power and current tricky. If you get accurate readings on full power but unexpected reading when using a low power setting, this may be what is going on.

2. Noise. In some cases I have seen EMI/EMC from appliances that are connected to or near the Yeti 1500X cause the display to behave strangely such as High Frequency switch mode power supplies you would find used with a grow light, Laser printer, or plasma cutter or welder.

3. FOD/Dust/Dirt. If there is junk inside the yeti it may be causing circuits to connect that were not intended to be connected. This can change how power measurement or communication paths work.

4. Damage. If the Yeti has been dropped, too humid/wet or zapped by a power surge, circuits may perform strangely.

• EnkiduPhil
    Options

Thanks JG164, greatly appreciated.

• EnkiduPhil
    Options