Compatability with Coleman 100W solar panel?

Options
Bill
Bill Member Posts: 3 ✭✭

I have used my Yeti 1000 with a direct auto battery connection & Kit and love it. My van recently got wiped out and I have a temporary rental van and would love to charge utilize the panel for a short stint until my new van arrives and I go back to the battery hook up. The Coleman also has a 8.5amp charge controller. I didn't want to damage either the panel (my brothers) or my Yeti 1000. I copied and pasted the panels info for reference.

I appreciate y'alls insight and Love my Yeti 1000 and Yeti Torch flashlight.

Product Details:

The Coleman® 100 Watt 12-Volt Solar Kit features high efficiency crystalline solar cells and includes an 8.5 A charge controller to protect 12-volt batteries from overcharging and prevent battery discharge during the night. Ideal for boats, RVs, sheds, cabins or cottages where little electricity is available, this kit is easy to install and maintenance-free. 

Features: 

• Designed for rechargeable 12 V batteries such as those used in boats, RVs or cottages and ideal for emergency back-up or remote power use when electricity is unavailable
  • 1 x 100 W panel is weatherproof and comes with shatterproof tempered glass for superior durability
  • Maximum power: up to 100 W of solar power
  • Amperage: up to 5.8 AMP
  • Built-in blocking diode prevents battery discharge
  • Made with a durable aluminum frame and crystalline solar cells

8.5 A Charge Controller Features:

• Protects battery from overcharge and discharge
  • For use with 12 V solar panels and batteries only
  • Handles up to 8.5 A of array current
  • Handles up to 127 W of solar power
  • Maintains 12 V batteries in a fully charge state

Best Answer

• GOAL ZERO ADMIN
    GOAL ZERO ADMIN Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 630 admin
    edited February 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Bill

Here is the checklist we use for using third party solar panels with our Yeti Power Stations:

1. Make sure the voltage does not exceed what is listed next to the input on the Yeti. If you have a Yeti 1000 Lithium it will say "do not exceed 22v" If you have the 1000X it will say "do not exceed 50v". When looking for this spec on the panel you will want to look for the VOC.
    2. The third party panel must also be rated above 14v for the Yeti to recognize the panel.
    3. Make sure to bypass the charge controller if the panel has one. The Yetis have charge controllers built in.
    4. Find out what cable type is coming off the panel. Typically you will see MC4. If that is what your panel has you will need an MC4 to HPP cable. https://www.goalzero.com/products/mc4-solar-to-hpp-adapter-cable?_pos=1&_sid=1522e74b3&_ss=r

It looks like that Coleman 100w panel has a max voltage rating of 12v. So the Yeti 1000 will not be able to recognize that panel since it is not above 14v.

Answers