Can the wifi range be extended?

Yeti4000Pro_user
Yeti4000Pro_user Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
edited July 7 in Yeti PRO 4000

I currently have to remove some cabinetry and lift the Pro 4000 out of my van, then move it 30ft to connect to my home wifi for firmware updates.

Is there any way to boost the wifi range? Ultimately, an external USB connected antenna would be all that was needed. Is this an option or will I need to add wifi repeaters/mesh system to my home network?

Answers

• jg164
    jg164 Administrator, Moderator Posts: 337 admin

@Yeti4000Pro_user,

The Yeti Wi-Fi module does not have an aux antenna port (even internally) nor is there a way to connect a Wi-Fi module to its USB ports.

I would adjust the range of the home Wi-Fi network by relocating the router or extending Wi-Fi on a different SSID because we have found that some mesh Wi-Fi systems don't work well with devices that are cloud connected if the device can see both the main router and the repeater and the Mesh system switches the IP address too frequently as it reconnects alternating between the main router then repeater or the repeater does not do a great job preserving forwarded ports.

Another option is to use your phone to hotspot Mobile data or use its Wi-Fi hotspot feature to boost the signal of your home Wi-Fi.

Does that help?

• Yeti4000Pro_user
    Yeti4000Pro_user Member Posts: 17 ✭✭

Yes, helpful, thanks for confirming. Please consider this a feature request 😀.

Unfortunately, the mobile and wifi hot-spot solutions don't work for me, and not for lack of effort. I've even had your excellent tech team on the phone walking me thru the processes. I've got 5G and a decent mobile data rate, but firmware downloads time out given their size. My home wifi is simply just out of reach and due to security concerns, I'm not a huge fan of logging into public wifi.

I have no other need for a mesh network or moving the router so will continue to remove the unit every time a firmware update becomes available.

Thank you.