Charging Yeti Pro 4000 with Other Brand Panels

scottnichol67
scottnichol67 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭

I have a set of 8x100W Renege solar panels, all connected with MC4 connectors. There are two strings of 4 panels connected in serial, then the two strings are combined in parallel for a final DC output of max 80V x 10A giving me nominally 800W. Each string has proper fuses in line as well.

I'm assuming that I can use this Goal Zero product to connect those 800W of solar panels to the HPP input of my Yeti 4000 to charge it without issues or problems.

https://goalzero.com/collections/portable-solar-power-accessories/products/mc4-solar-to-hpp-adapter-cable

Thanks in advance!

Scott

Answers

• jg164
    jg164 Administrator, Moderator Posts: 337 admin
    edited August 5

@scottnichol67,

Correct. That is the right cable for that job!

One thing to note, it looks like you may be considering only the Optimal Operating voltage of 20.4V.

For the benefit of others that read this post I recommend always accounting the two different Voltage Specs in your planning.

1. The "Open Circuit Voltage" (OCV or Voc) or the highest voltage the panel will provide when nothing is pulling power from it.

2. The other voltage is named lots of different ways. Max Power Voltage, (MPPV or Vmp). On the one Renogy product page I saw it listed as "Opitimum Operating Voltage". This is the voltage the solar panel will get pulled down to when it is kicking out the max power it can be expected to ever provide and will be a little lower than the OCV.

Its smart to make sure that the Open Circuit Voltage of a series panel string is within the Yeti Pro 4000's HPP+ connector maximum voltage rating (150V) not just the max power voltage. Either way you are likely fine if the OCV is 24.3V( x4 is 97.2V) and OOV is 20.4V(x4 is 81.6V) specs I looked at are for this panel, not sure if its the same one you have or not so please double check with your panel stickers and then measure with a volt meter before hooking up to the yeti in case there is an unexpected problem.

Please reply with pictures of your setup when you get it all hooked up! Sounds like a well designed system!