Goal Zero 100AC Issues

Smatkin
Smatkin Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited August 22 in POWER BANKS

I'm leaving for a trip and trying to run my Starlink mini off the 100AC and Nomad 50 Solar Panel Setup. The Starlink Mini requires 100W/20V/5A per their website which the 100AC states it can provide using the 100w USBC port on output (per goal zero).

When plugging in the Starlink I can see it demands roughly 40watts of power. After about 10-seconds the goal zero shuts off the power to the port and the Starlink never boots. I can run it off the AC port but it's inefficient as I'm converting DC to AC and back to DC. When running off AC the Nomad 50 is producing about 25-watts putting me at 5-watt deficite and I can run the star link for roughly 8-hours. My goal and hope is to run a single Nomad 50 and 100AC and be able to run the Starlink indefinitely in daylight. I believe this would be possible if I wasn't losing power to converting DC to AC and then back to DC.

What is extremely frustrating is I have a $50 power bank that has a 60W port and it can run the Starlink with no problem for roughly an hour. This is definitely a GoalZero issue with their 100AC. FYI- This is not an issue with my individual product as I have recreated the issue with the two that I own. Additionally, I have a friend who owns a couple of 100AC. Funny enough, his old version 100AC will run it without an issue… but the new one… reacts just as the couple I have purchase.

ANY SUGGESTIONS? I've done a hard reset as well as tried to run it off the smaller port with no luck.

Comments

• DankHill
    DankHill Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 8 admin

When you say that the power is shut off after about ~10 seconds, is there any indication of fault? (e.g. fault indicator on the screen) or does it just shut off the output seemingly for no reason?

Something you could try, which might work, is to click the USB button 3x in quick succession until you see "OF" on the display. This disables PPS mode which may be affecting compatibility with certain products.

• Smatkin

Thanks for the suggestion, but that did not fix the issue. It did however delay the shutoff by another 10 seconds. So now it is trying for 20 seconds before cutting power to the port instead of 10 seconds.

There is no indication of a fault. You can just see the output on the screen go from somewhere between 30W-40W to 0W. I also purchased a digital multimeter that shows voltage/amperage/wattage as I originally thought it might be the Starlink shutting off because it wasn't receiving the correct supply. I can confirm the multimer is showing all 3 within Starlink's specifications when power is cut to the port.

Dan- I was told you are an engineer from Goal Zero on the phone from customer service. Can you tell me the likelihood of this issue being fixed by goal zero with time? Is this a software issue where I could update my device? I have a 3rd 100AC being delivered today, I am questioning if I want to keep it. Additionally, I have another one that is within the return window that I could send back as well. My biggest concern is if these devices can't be updated/fixed with software. If that's the case, I'm investing a significant amount of money into items that will become a paperweight when GoalZero eventually fixes the issue with a new generation.

• Smatkin

Any update on my above comment?

• GOAL ZERO ADMIN
    GOAL ZERO ADMIN Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 691 admin

Hello @Smatkin ,

As we have looked further into this, considering the power requirements for the Starlink Mini are within the USB-C port's limits, there is likely some other incompatability that we are not able to account for with the Starlink.