How many panels are too many for a Yeti 1500?

Options
Pops
Pops Member Posts: 1 ✭✭

I have a Yeti 1500X with Nomad 100 and 50 solar panels. I am thinking of adding a Boulder 100 suitcase panel for faster charging but am concerned it might be too much. Problem is with the Nomads there are numerous days that I barely reach the minimum charge rate but I am afraid adding the Boulder 100 will put the system over the 150 watt maximum. Any ideas?

Answers

• jg164
    jg164 Administrator, Moderator Posts: 287 admin
    Options

Hi @Pops,

That should be just fine. You use up to 4 Goal Zero solar products with that have 8mm output connectors via the 8mm to HPP combiner and connect that to the HPP input port on the 1500X. All Goal Zero solar products are designed to be connected in parallel so the output voltage will stay the same, only the current goes up.

Note: The HPP input port is prioritized over the 8mm ports so trying to use 6 total 8mm solar products won't work ( 4x into the HPP port via a combiner and then one in the front 8mm port and one in the lid 8mm port ), only the four connected to the HPP combiner will be used.

• ReWildDude
    ReWildDude Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

Hi @jg164 ,

Did I get your note right that follow setup is possible and will not harm the input port from the YETILINK Expansion Module?

Regards,

ReWild Dude

• GOAL ZERO ADMIN
    GOAL ZERO ADMIN Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 633 admin
    Options

Hi @ReWildDude

This set up would not work on the connection to the Yeti link. It will only work on the HPP connection. The link only comes with the 8mm. You will need to either use both 100 panels or one 100 panel and a 50 panel.

• jg164
    jg164 Administrator, Moderator Posts: 287 admin
    Options

Hi @ReWildDude,

If you want to pump more power into your Yeti Tank array than the 120W 8mm charger, take a look at the 30-Amp External MPPT. It comes with a 15 foot HPP extension and a 6 foot EC8 extension so you would not need to buy extra cables.

Note: the 30A charge controller needs to have tanks attached between it and the Link. Do not connect it right to the back of the link!

If your Yeti is sitting on top of your tanks there may not be a need for a 12 ft EC8 extension because the tanks have pigtails that may reach the back of the link.

Here is an example setup with SKU numbers ( you can use SKUs in the search box too! )

• ReWildDude
    ReWildDude Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Options

Hi @jg164,

That makes complete sense thanks for your help!