How many expansion tanks...

Options
Cowgirl
Cowgirl Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited June 2023 in ASK ANYTHING

can I add to my Yeti 3000x? I currently have two. I thought I'd read in one of the User Guides that's the maximum but then I also read there is no limit. You also answered my other question, I'm purchasing the 30A charge controller kit. If it can connect up to 440W, then I can add two Boulder Suitcases to it, correct? It's definitely not charging fast enough.

Thank you so much, I know nothing about solar and electrical definitions, but I'm learning.

Answers

• jg164
    jg164 Administrator, Moderator Posts: 286 admin
    Options

Hi @Cowgirl,

I think the ideal amount of Tanks connected to a Link+Yeti is 4 like we have set up in our largest kits like this one.

After adding enough tanks in parallel, the resistance from longer wire lengths and all those connections will add up and be lost as heat and voltage drops at the highest resistance point in the circuit. You can make custom wires and larger connectors to compensate but you will have to do your own research.

When connecting more Tanks to your bank always try and charge or discharge new ones to within plus or minus 0.2 volts DC of the existing bank so there is not a mad rush of power as they try to equalize.

The Explorist has some very informative videos and tools on calculating wire lengths in his DIY Camper Van Electrical setup video.