Do GoalZero solar panels have any EMP vulnerabilities by themselves?

Options
RobertG
RobertG Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
edited July 2022 in SOLAR PANELS

I have Boulder 200 briefcase panels but I suspect my question applies to all the panels you sell. Do the solar panels have any discrete circuitry that could be damaged by an EMP event? Or are the junction boxes on the back of the panels just that -- junctions without any logic cards or other items sensitive to EMPs?

Mainly I would like to know if when in storage I need to keep them in a Faraday cage just in case, or if that is really not necessary. I understand that if they happen to be wired up during an EMP event then they or any attached Yeti power station could be damaged as the wires act as a conductor / concentrator / attractor. I understand the power stations themselves would have to be protected in storage. I am just asking about the panels by themselves, in storage.

Answers

• GOAL ZERO ADMIN
    GOAL ZERO ADMIN Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 636 admin
    Options

Hi @RobertG

Since our solar panels do not come with charge controllers you do not need to worry about keeping them in a faraday cage. There is no circuitry that would be damaged from an EMP. So with the Boulder 200 you can keep it in the case while in storage.