Battery reliability for 3000X and tanks?

Options
Rooots
Rooots Member Posts: 1 ✭✭

I am considering installing a home backup system using a 3000X with a couple of tanks and possibly solar panels. My question concerns the battery life of the 3000 x and the tanks. Is there a way to replace the lithium batteries when they eventually die? I know it has a 2-year warranty, but in order to be cost-effective, the batteries will need to last a lot longer than that or be replaceable. How long in the real world do the batteries last, assuming you follow the manufacturer's suggestions on keeping it charged, etc.?

Answers

• jg164
    jg164 Administrator, Moderator Posts: 304 admin
    Options

Hi @Rooots,

Battery longevity is affected by rates and depth of use and the temperature they are used in.

On the Yeti 3000X product page in the Battery Details section it states:

If you could discharge at 280A during the night and charge at 280A during the day and do that once per day, you can expect the total capacity of the pack to be diminished by from 3032Wh to 80% or 2425.6Wh after 500 days ( about 1 year, 4 months, and 13 days ).

A 1C charge rate of 280A is not possible using inputs from the faceplate and even the Link+Tanks nor is it possible to discharge at that rate.

Since realistic cell discharge rates are less than the 1C rate of 280A and actually depth of discharge may be less than the whole capacity of the pack, the 80% capacity reduction will not happen that soon. Anecdotally, people I have talked to here have not seen a YetiX unit make it below 95% SoH or over 500 full depth cycles yet ( If we do, I will reply here ).

Even an out of warranty Yeti X can get a lithium battery replacement for as long as we still carry spare parts for them. You can call customer support and they will help you set up a replacement where the power station will be sent here and we will swap out the battery pack for a new one. ( It's not a customer replaceable part yet )

The AGM batteries in the Tanks can be replaced with any 100Ah 12V AGM battery but should be preballanced to within 0.2V of the others before connecting another one. I believe Vision's SCP121000 is one of the batteries I have seen in a Tank.

Keeping both batteries at room temp and using Charge Profiles can also help extend battery life.

Does that help?

• jg164
    jg164 Administrator, Moderator Posts: 304 admin
    Options

Hi @Rooots,

Battery longevity is affected by rates and depth of use and the temperature they are used in.

On the Yeti 3000X product page in the Battery Details section it states:

If you run the inverter at max output each night until the pack is drained and the yeti stops outputting and then charge the yeti using a 600W of solar plus 750W from the Link+Tanks during the day and do that once per day, you can expect the total capacity of the pack to be diminished by from 3032Wh to no less than 2425.6Wh after 500 days ( about 1 year, 4 months, and 13 days ). Since realistic cell discharge rates are less than the 1C rate of 280.8A and actually depth of discharge may be less than the whole capacity of the pack, the 80% capacity reduction will happen much later. I have not seen a YetiX unit make it below 95% SoH or over 500 cycles yet ( If I do I will reply here ).

Even an out of warranty Yeti X can get a lithium battery replacement for as long as we still carry spare parts for them. You can call customer support and they will help you set up a replacement where the power station will be sent here and we will swap out the battery pack for a new one. ( It's not a customer replaceable part yet )

The AGM batteries in the Tanks can be replaced with any 100Ah 12V AGM battery but should be pre-ballanced to within 0.2V of the others before connecting another one. I believe Vision's SCP121000 is one of the batteries I have seen in a Tank.

Keeping both batteries at room temp and using Charge Profiles can also help extend battery life.

Does that help?