Sherpa 100AC compatible solar panels

Options
Rene
Rene Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
edited July 2022 in ASK ANYTHING

hi team,

I have bought a Sherpa 100AC PD power bank, but I already have foldable 100 Watt solar panels from ALLPOWERS (bought through Amazon, Amazon.com : ALLPOWERS Portable Solar Panel 100W (Dual 5v USB with 18v DC Output) Monocrystalline Solar Charger Foldable Solar Panel for Laptop, Portable Generator, 12v Car, Boat, RV Battery : Patio, Lawn & Garden), which has a 8mm DC plug (and a picture of it feeding a Yeti on the amazon page) that is rated at 18 Volts, 5A max. This is more than Sherpa's max 50 watt DC input. Can I use this solar panel also for my Sherpa? Because I believe I read the Sherpa only allows max 50 Watt input through the 8mm plug? Or does it have 'over current' protection and will it work fine with the Sherpa? I hate plugging it in and 'just try it' so I'd rather ask you first.

Answers

• jg164
    jg164 Administrator, Moderator Posts: 301 admin
    Options

Hi @Rene,

It looks like the output voltage for that solar panel is 18V which is within the acceptable range for the Sherpa 100AC's 8mm input port (14-22V). If the Voltage of the panel was 40V that would be incompatible with the Sherpa because it does not have a way to convert a high voltage into a lower one it can use.

The 50W Max listed on the Sherpa's 8mm port means it will only draw up to 50W to charge it self. You could hook up 5000W of solar and it would only use up to 50W. This is because all Goal Zero products only take the current they need when charging ( Watts = Voltage x Current )

Does that help?