What cable?

Options
Jtanz
Jtanz Member Posts: 1

Hi I want to charge a Yeti6000 with 4 Boulder 200 briefcase solar panels.

Ok I got that I need a hpp combiner cable SKU98061, but do I need 1 extension cable or 4?

thanks for an answer

greetings from switzerland

Answers

• GOAL ZERO ADMIN
    GOAL ZERO ADMIN Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 633 admin
    Options

Hi @Jtanz

We recommend getting an extension cable for each solar panel. If you are using more than two of the four spots on the 4X combiner you will see better results with the extension cable on each panel. Hope this helps!

• Thomas_Darby
    Thomas_Darby Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    Options

This advice is probably based on something called "line Losses." Each cable will lose some power as a function of the current squared times the resistance of the cable. By using four extensions to the 4x combiner, each cable has only one fourth of the current, and this is multiplied by the resistance value in the cable. If you use a single extension cable to get the power to the Yeti 6000, the current will be 4-times as much and your power loss within the cable will be 4- times greater than if your purchase and use 4 cables. But, I don't know what the loss is in a single cable, so we could be talking about a small loss vs. a very small loss. If I knew what the "resistance" of the extension cable was then I could estimate the power loss.

You have the same problem when purchasing battery jumper cables for your car. Get a heavy cable and you have less losses when you are trying to jump the other battery.