Thermometer icon, I know what it means but

Options
pyra
pyra Member Posts: 8 ✭✭

Can you please tell me if this is a problem.

the ambient temperature is ~37 degrees celsius, and my Yeti 1000 has been charging the whole day from 10AM with 33% till 6:30PM and now its on 90% . Since the ambient temperature is high and the input over day is from 140-180W I know its normal for the fan to kick in on the cooling part but should I be worried about the thermometer icon which is present the whole day and that the yeti 1000 is luke warm also?

Should I unplug the solar panels?

Is it dangerous if it displays the icon for too long? Does it maybe turn off the yeti 1000 or input automatically if it gets very hot for some reason?

Thanks,

Pyra

Answers

• pyra
    Options
  • pyra
    Options

Anyone please?

• GOAL ZERO ADMIN
    GOAL ZERO ADMIN Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 639 admin
    Options

Hi @pyra

There is no need to worry about the temperature icon in your situation. Yetis can stop accepting a charge at around 113°F and stop outputting power at around 149°F. Keeping proper ventilation around your Yeti at all times will help mitigate any potential mishaps while working in extremely hot conditions. In order to better protect them, we’ve also added special features into the Yetis, such as automatic cooling systems. If you have a Yeti power station in the back of your car on a hot summer day and you hear a noise, it’s probably the fan kicking on to keep it cooled off.

It might be a good idea to see if you can get the Yeti in a cooler spot to see if the icon goes away. Please try doing a reset on the Yeti too. Hold "Units" and "Info" for about 7-10 seconds. Let go once you hear the Yeti beep.

• pyra
    Options

Hi @GOAL ZERO SUPPORT ,

thanks for the reply!

My Yeti 1000 is in our mobile house during summer, it is protected from direct sunlight of course, and always in the shade in that house, it doesn't have any air blockages on it's left or right side where the ventilation openings are. My only concern was due to extended and long ventilation periods during these hot summer days which are always around 30-38 C, the ambient temperature is maybe even more at times during the day. And also Yeti is constantly charging from 10AM-4PM with input 120-200W so the cooling is also kicking it because of that. Also It is used to power up a 12V Dometic portable fridge which is not that power hungry, but since it's hot, it tends to work also more and drain around 50W during the day basically all the time(Usually it works ~20-30min per hour I would say). So we have 120-200W input + 50W output , vent's working all the time and a hotter then usual daily temperature.

I mean everything works as it should, I was only curious and concerned a bit about this, but now that you have explained it to me, I am more relaxed.

I will try to reset it this weekend when I come back for my vacation ;)

Thanks,

Pyra