Can the HIK be used to power my rooftop solar panels? There are 20 20 amp circuits.

Options

Answers

• GOAL ZERO ADMIN
    GOAL ZERO ADMIN Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 629 admin
    Options

Hi @Blake1331 ,

The HIK was not designed to be used directly with solar panels. You would need to have an inverter in between the solar panels and the HIK to increase the voltage (or decrease) of the panels to 120V. This isn't typically something we suggest using the HIK for and strongly suggest having a battery system in between.

• jg164
    jg164 Administrator, Moderator Posts: 287 admin
    Options

Hi @Blake1331,

The Yeti HIK(Home Integration Kit) can not provide power to rooftop solar panels. It is designed to power a few Alternating Current (110-120V) circuits in a home.

The answer to the question: "Can I power HIK fed circuits with my rooftop solar?" depends on the voltage and setup you have for Rooftop solar.

The Yeti X line power stations have an HPP input that works best with 17-23V DC. Some Rooftop solar panels are designed with a 35-45V DC OCV(Open Circuit Voltage) that might not work well to charge the Yeti.

If your Rooftop solar has a String Inverter or Micro-Inverters that change the Solar Panel output from DC to AC you could charge your Yeti with a 120-600W AC power supply and then when the grid goes down you could power a few circuits with the Yeti power. The largest inverter our Yeti 1500X, 3000X and 6000X have is a 2000W nominal / 3500W surge. For the US models that provide 115VAC that's 15A max.

From the HIK user guide:

THIS TRANSFER SWITCH MUST BE INSTALLED ONLY BY A QUALIFIED ELECTRICIAN WITH A THOROUGH KNOWLEDGE OF ALL APPLICABLE ELECTRICAL AND BUILDING CODES.

For questions regarding installation or the transfer switch, contact Reliance Controls Customer Service Team

Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm CT at 1-800-634-6155.

Does that help?