Charge shutdown and Solar panel issues (2 question)

Options
Jnewcomb
Jnewcomb Member Posts: 1 ✭✭

Model:

Sherpa100PD (22060-11-21A09981)

I'm on a cycle tour and love the 60W fast charge from mains, but having issues powering devices.

Maybe my use case is different, maybe it's a firmware glitch, please could you clarify?

There are 2 issues for discussion and I ask here as two separate questions.

1st question:

I navigate with my handlebar mounted Galaxy S7 phone and it's on all the time. I keep the 100PD plugged in and sure enough, it charges up. However a few hours later my phone battery is almost dead as the 100PD shuts off power soon after charge (presumably to save its power)

I am forever having to press the 100PD power button (twice) to reactivate the charging to keep the battery topped up. Unplugging and replugging the USB charge cable has no effect. How can I disable this shutdown feature? Is there a setting, firmware fix or configuration application / engineering tool that will let me adjust this behaviour?

Having the 100PD keep the phone powered without charging/discharging the phone battery is also going to give more hours use and not degrade my phone battery..

2nd question:

Solar charging. I have Elecaenta 30w solar charger.

https://www.amazon.com/ELECAENTA-Portable-PowerPort-Compatible-Backpacking/dp/B09987SG7F

I monitor the charge flowing using a usb inline charge monitor. It tells me the voltage, current and calculates the Wattage. Very insightful.

In good sunshine, it is a star performer. Using USB-C into my 100PD I get the full 30watts at 18V. The PD100 charge display happily blinks as it laps up the power provided. However, when a whisp of a clouds passes over, the display blinks in an irregular fashion and soon the 100PD display stops blinking and charging is shut down, permanently.

Shutdown is quite understandable. What I have issue with is when the cloud has passed, the 100PD remains in shut down mode. The inline charge monitor indicates good stable voltage present, but the 100PD just does not seem to draw any current. Pressing power button has no effect, I must physically disconnect and reconnect the usb-c to restart the charging and off we go again, works as expected. It's wholly impractical. I once bungied the panel onto the luggage rack and had hours of direct sun, but because of the occasional periods of shade caused shutdown, it added nothing to the overall charge percentage. Waste of time.

So.. again same question.. Is there a firmware fix? Config setting? Engineering tool to adjust this behaviour? By design?Defective unit?

Also, if any other backpackers / tourers could confirm the same issues I describe, please comment.

Many thanks..

Comments