How do I charge my Yeti Expansion Tanks?

Options
GOAL ZERO ADMIN
GOAL ZERO ADMIN Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 633 admin
edited May 2022 in FAQs

You can recharge your Yeti Expansion tanks with you wall power supply or Goal Zero Solar Panels using the 8mm input on the Yeti Link expansion module. This allows you to recharge your Yeti Expansion Tanks with an input up to 150W while the Yeti Tank batteries are recharging your Yeti Power Station. For a faster recharge on your Yeti Expansion tanks via Solar you can add the 30A External MPPT controller. This will allow you to connect more solar panels directly to your Yeti Expansion Tanks for a decreased recharge time.

Comments

• Blade
    Blade Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    Options

I currently have the Yeti 1500X with Yeti expansion link connected to 4 yeti Tanks.

Can I just plug the EC8 cable provided with the 30A External MPPT controller kit (from GZ) into the cable from the tanks, that was plugged into the back of the Yeti Link expansion module, leaving all (4) tanks connected together, to charge all the tanks at the same time? If so, would the EC8 cable from the 30A charge controller need to have a female or male plug fitting?

• Hunter_GZ
    Hunter_GZ Administrator Posts: 44 admin
    edited June 2022
    Options

@Blade the 30A MPPT Controller kit comes with a Male E8 Cable this would plug directly into the Female EC8 cable of your Tank Batteries, there should be one open female ec8 in your tank chain to allow this. This will recharge your tank batteries as your tank batteries recharge your Yeti 1500X

• pyra
    pyra Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    Options

Hi,

can I would like to hook my 3 year old Goal Zero Yeti 1000 with an Expansion module and 1 Expansion Tank Battery. I already have 2x180W solar panels in parallel hooked and connected on HPP port and I'm charging my Yeti 1000 normally and that's great.

Now I would like to buy the Expansion module and Tank and I would like to know how can I most easily and efficiently charge the Tank with the existing solar panel equipment?

The home power outlet is not an option since the location is completely remote so solar charging is the only way to go.

If I understood correctly via solar the tank can be charged at max 150W - If I use my unused Boulder 200 and a HPP to 8mm adapter cable - will that be OK?

And can I then in the same time have my 2x180W connected via HPP to my Yeti 1000 while the Tank is charging with the Boulder 200 for example? Is that an OK approach ?

Thnx,

Niksa

• GOAL ZERO ADMIN
    Options

Hi @pyra ,

The 1000 Lithium is compatible with the Yeti Link and Expansion Tanks. The breakdown you have is actually the correct way to approach the set up. Keep the 2x 180 watt panels you have connected to the HPP input on the Yeti 1000 Lithium. Use the Boulder 200 with the HPP to 8mm adapter to connect to the 8mm port on the Yeti Link. The Boulder 200 will charge the Expansion Tanks. If you have any other questions about this set up feel free to give us a ring!

• pyra
    Options

OK, thanks, but can I somehow charge the Tank more quickly without the buying and configuring of the new charge controller or something?

• pyra
    Options

Also, there is no issue to have 2x 180W panels connected in the same time to HPP and the Boulder 200 to the 8mm port on the Yeti Link to charge the Tank?

I'm asking this because I'm not sure is there some kind of a input regulation security system in the Yeti there that will normally let charge those 2 separate components in the same time and also the Tank is actively then charging the Yeti 1000 right? So basically the Yeti would then receive potentially a much larger amount of input power at the same time, right?...

Also is there no danger to this, since this would be done during the day of course, we need the Inverter to be working 24/7 .. Because we will connect a more powerful fridge to our AC port.

• pyra
    edited June 2022
    Options
  • GOAL ZERO ADMIN
    Options

@pyra There is no danger to that set up. The Yeti Link is a separate charge controller. So you would not be doing any damage to the internal charge controller or battery. You are good to go on that set up!