Yeti1500x with multiple solar panels

Options
Markus
Markus Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
edited September 2022 in YETI PORTABLE POWER STATIONS

Can I connect two Boulder 100, two Boulder 50 and one Ranger 300 simultaneously to a Yeti1500x?

I'm thinking about combining the four Boulders into a single HPP using a https://www.goalzero.com/products/high-power-port-to-8mm-connector?_pos=2&_sid=c877ab984&_ss=r, and then combine that with the Ranger output using https://www.goalzero.com/products/4x-high-power-port-combiner-to-high-power-port-connector?_pos=1&_sid=d287947da&_ss=r?

Would that work? Will this connection risk breaking some max ratings of the Yeti1500x?

Best Answer

• Hunter_GZ
    Hunter_GZ Administrator Posts: 44 admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Markus Yes you definitely can do so! The two combiner cables you mentioned would be necessary. You would first combine the two Boulder 100s and two Boulder 50s into the 4x 8mm to HPP combiner. Then plug this into the 4x HPP to HPP combiner along with the Ranger 300. This would then plug into the Yeti 1500X High Power Port input. The maximum input the Yeti 1500X will allow in at one time is 600W. Even in perfect conditions this would be below 600W and if you did exceed 600W the Yeti 1500X charge controller would regulate the input to 600W there is not risk connecting these panels into the Yeti.

Answers

• Thomas_Darby
    Thomas_Darby Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    Options

How much line loss might he expect in that case?

I have a Yeti 1500 and a Boulder 100 Briefcase unit, along with two Nomad 20s. I am interested in learning about line losses.

If I get everything figured out, I may buy a larger battery and some panels to mount at my in-laws second home, which my son will inherit.

• GOAL ZERO ADMIN
    GOAL ZERO ADMIN Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 627 admin
    Options

Hi @Thomas_Darby,

This is hard to say but if you do what was described by hunter, it could be between 10-15%. Just using the single combiner cable would put it between 2-4%.

• Thomas_Darby
    Thomas_Darby Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    Options

Thanks.

For Christmas I decided to get a 4x combiner cable and two more Boulder 100 briefcase panels. This will give me 300 W solar panels to charge a 1500W Yeti, which I figure will take about 6 hours because of some efficiency losses. I am trying to be mindful of how to help these parts act efficiently.

• DavidI
    DavidI Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    Options

We are considering a Yeti 1500. Can I use a power strip with it to power several small devices, such as a laptop and 2 cpap machines? Will it power my refrigerator? What gauge extension cord should I use with it, and what should the maximum length of the cord be?

• GOAL ZERO ADMIN
    GOAL ZERO ADMIN Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 627 admin
    Options

Hi @DavidI,

A power strip will work with the Yeti 1500X. It should power all those items at once, if needed. As for the gauge, just a standard heavy duty extension cord will do.