Is it normal for a Yeti 3000X to be constantly charging?

Options
jimarv
jimarv Member Posts: 7 ✭✭

I have a Yeti 3000X. I keep it plugged into the wall and nothing is connected to it. I've noticed that it doesn't charge up to 100%. Instead it somehow runs down to 94% and then recharges.

Is there something wrong with my Yeti?

Answers

• jg164
    jg164 Administrator, Moderator Posts: 287 admin
    Options
  • jimarv
    Options

I've tried all three profiles. Right now it is on "Balanced". I now understand that 95% is the maximum charge point for that profile, but without any use, why should the battery be charging at all?

• jg164
    Options

Hi @jimarv,

Are you seeing the Yeti State of Charge on Balanced profile drop to 90% before it starts recharging?

If so, how long is it taking for the yeti to charge back up to 95% and how long does it take to drop back down to 90%?

Is the Wifi, inverter, or the LCD display turned on while it is draining? If so, those features will draw idle power. Try turning all 3 off and see if it helps.

• jimarv
    Options

Thanks for your response.

I haven't specifically tracked all possible conditions for discharge and recharge times of each profile, but when it was in the "Performance" profile, I was getting messages that stated "Your Yeti is charging. Approximately 1 hours and 43 minutes until 100% is reached."

Yes, Wi-Fi is active. The LCD turns itself on while charging. I'll have to research if there is a way to disable the LCD light from automatically activating. But I'm still puzzled by one thing.

Since it is plugged into the wall, why would any of the functions you listed drain the battery? Shouldn't the unit bypass battery dependence when it is plugged into the wall? And shouldn't the unit maintain a full charge if Wi-Fi, the inverter, and the LCD display are disabled?

• jg164
    Options

Hi @jimarv,

The Yeti 3000X should be able to stay charged for weeks to months with all the ports turned off and the LCD off. I have one that I have not charged for a few months and only use it for a small fan and light once in a while and it does not drop more than 1-2% in multiple weeks of idle/non-use.

Just having the AC port turned on requires 7-8W of the Yeti's battery power to run Inverter even if you have nothing connected to it!

Wifi and LCD draw much less than a watt combined. I leave mine on by accident all the time and they don't drain the battery.

If you are seeing 5% in a day with no loads connected and no ports on, that would be a problem. If this is where you are, I would contact customer support.

• jimarv
    Options

Thanks again.

None of the ports are activated. I deactivated the LCD screen. I'll see if that makes a difference. With electricity rates high where I live, I'm monitoring every device in my home to make sure I have minimal draw on my service.

The conditions that you describe that drain power don't make sense to me with this plugged into the wall. In most electronic devices with a battery, plugging the device into the wall overrides the power conditions of products with batteries. For instance, think about your cell phone. When it is plugged into a power source, the internal battery isn't draining even if the Wi-Fi and LCD screen are on.

Anyway, yes, I have been seeing a 5% drop every day without anything plugged into it. I'm going to monitor the situation and hope this isn't an issue with the Yeti. I've only had it for about 8 months and it has never been used. I would hate to think it is unreliable. I have a health condition and that's dependent on a machine. I need this product to work.

Thanks again.