Lithium expansion tanks

Options

I have a Yeti 1500 and am very interested in expanding my storage capacity. I am not excited about lead-acid batteries as they have a shorter useable lifespan than lithium. Is there a way to use lithium batteries for storage AND charge them through my Yeti 1500?

Answers

• GOAL ZERO ADMIN
    GOAL ZERO ADMIN Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 633 admin
    Options

Hi @Wired_wrong1,

This is something we are currently looking into. However, as of right now the only option we have are to use lead-acid batteries.

• sfklein
    sfklein Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

I think this answers my question as well - but I wanted to confirm: is it possible to chain Lifepoe4 batteries through the link (with compatible voltage rating of course) and charge them with a MPPT or charger through the end of the chain?

• GOAL ZERO ADMIN
    Options

Hi @sfklein,

This is not something that can currently be done. The Yeti link is programmed for lead acid batteries and, even if you use LiPO4 batteries with compatible voltage ratings, they will not work with the link properly.

• Mholybee
    Mholybee Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

how about charging the LiPo4 batteries with the 120v outlet on the goalzero 1500x unit with an approved LiPo4 charger and connecting the output from the LiPo4 batteries through the Yeti Car charger to the input port on the goalzero 1500x?

• GOAL ZERO ADMIN
    Options

Hi @Mholybee,

This would work as long as you don't have everything connected to each other at the same time. If you did, this would make a loop of energy that could potentially damage both batteries.

If you are charging the LiFePO4 batteries and then charging the Yeti batteries when they need power, this would technically work although it would not be very efficient since you would be converting voltages.