Connecting Boulder 200 Briefcase to 2x Boulder 100 Panels -> Yeti 1000x

Options
FreneticOasis
FreneticOasis Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
edited October 2022 in SOLAR PANELS

Hello Goal Zero Community!

I recently chased after my dream of that sweet-sweet van-life and purchased a van with an existing solar setup.

The setup is 2 Goal Zero Boulder 100s connected to a 4-way 8mm to Anderson Power Pole (APP) connector which then connects to a Goal Zero Yeti 1000x. I understand the APP port on the Yeti 1000x supports up to 600watts of power input.

2x Boulder 100 --> 4-way 8mm to APP connector --> Yeti 1000x

I've recently stumbled across a Boulder 200 Briefcase that I can purchase for a relatively affordable price. My question is, could I connect this additional unit to my Yeti 1000x? The Boulder 200 comes with an APP connector already so I've been doing some digging.

Do I use an APP to 8mm converter to convert the APP plug from the Boulder 200 to 8mm so I can plug it into the 4-way 8mm to APP connector?

https://www.goalzero.com/products/high-power-port-to-8mm-connector

2x Boulder 100 + 1x Boulder 200 (w/ APP to 8mm connector) --> 4-way 8mm to APP connector --> Yeti 1000x.

Or do I need to purchase a 4-way APP connector to APP and then connect it all?

https://www.goalzero.com/products/4x-high-power-port-combiner-to-high-power-port-connector

2x Boulder 100 (w/ 8mm to APP connector) + 1x Boulder 200 --> 4-way APP to APP connector --> Yeti 1000x.

Both setups will look a little silly, but if they work, I won't mind since the cables will be hidden anyway.

Any input is appreciated (and yes, I also know 400watts for a Yeti 1000x would be more than overkill, but I'd like to upgrade the solar panels first with the intention of upgrading to a 1500x or 3000x down the line when funds become available).

Cheers!

Edit: I'm under the impression the Boulder 200 Briefcase is also mountable and I can purchase the GZ brackets to mount them.

Answers

• GOAL ZERO ADMIN
    GOAL ZERO ADMIN Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 633 admin
    Options

Hi @FreneticOasis,

I would suggest using the 8mm to HPP as that will create less loss since there will be less connections.

This will allow you to connect all of the panels like you said.

You can mount the Boulder 200 panel but it is a little difficult. Since the two panels are permanently attached to each other, you will need 2 sets of the Boulder mounting bracket. This will let you mount each individual panel at the same time.

If you can fit a Boulder 200 panel, We would suggest looking into purchasing two separate Boulder 100 panels. It will lead to the same result without the extra cable in between the HPP and 8mm cable. The individual panels will also be much easier to mount.