Goal Zero 1500 with Link

Options
lbaxter
lbaxter Member Posts: 2 ✭✭

So recently I added the link and two of the goal zero tanks to my 1500 and love the way it works. Previously (with just the 1500) I was charging it with the 600 watt 120v charger using a generator. With the link came a 120 watt charger to plug into the link which works fine but is, of course, much slower. Two questions....

1) I assume I can't use the 600 watt plugged into the link. Is that correct?

2) If I have the 120 watt plugged into the link can I also have the 600 watt plugged directly into the 1500 so that it charges that much faster?

Thanks for any advice and love my Goalzero!

Lucas

Answers

• Zion_Curtain
    Zion_Curtain Member Posts: 149 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    Options

@lbaxter

The Yeti 600 watt power supply cannot be used with the Yeti Link. I believe the max input is around 150 watts. I have seen people use their 200 watt panels with it though.

Yes, it is fine to use the 600 watt power supply on the 1500x with the 120 watt power supply in the Yeti Link. The Yeti Link essentially acts as a separate charge controller.

If you want to charge the Yeti Tanks faster check out the external 30 amp MPPT made by Victron. Goal Zero does sell it with the cables needed for the set up.

https://www.goalzero.com/products/30-amp-external-mppt-kit?_pos=1&_sid=e64e3a782&_ss=r

• lbaxter
    lbaxter Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

Thanks @Zion_Curtain @Zion_Curtain . I wasn't familiar with the MPPT. I appreciate that thought. I use my goal zero at a camp where a generator is only allowed to run for one certain hour of the day so I try to optimize the charge for that hour. So very happy I can at least put the 120 watt power supply in the Link to charge the expansion tanks and the 600 watt in to charge the 1500. And I'll check out the MPPT.

• Readyneck
    Readyneck Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

To elaborate a bit on maximizing the charging of your system with a generator, with the Tank's AGM batteries you can recharge them independent of the Yeti or link charger using a separate dedicated 12v battery charger which would be limited only by the charge current that the batteries can handle, which is generally 30 Amps at 12v for a 100AH AGM lead acid battery. However, two such batteries like you have in the two GZ tanks connected together in parallel would allow up to 60 Amps of charge current. In other words, you could continue to charge the Yeti 1500's battery using your 600 watt charger and you can then purchase a separate 60 Amp 12v (700 watt) battery charger to recharge the two AGM batteries in your Tanks and run them both at the same time off your generator. Both chargers run together would max out at about 1300 watts which most 2000 watt gas generators could easily handle at just under their max full power thus maximizing your battery charging scenario being able to recharge an empty Yeti 1500 and two somewhat empty Tank batteries (it's not good to fully discharge a lead acid battery if you want good longevity from them) in about three hours or less.