Charging with a small Petrol Generator

Options
Thomas_Darby
Thomas_Darby Member Posts: 39 ✭✭

I bought my Yeti X to power my fridge at home if we lose power for more than a few hours. I purchased a solar panel to recharge the power station during the day. Starting with a fully charged power station and supplementing that with the solar panel, I figure I can get several days out of it. But, if I am unlucky and have cloudy days, I want to recharge my Yeti X with a small petrol powered generator.

What is the best way to do this?

For example, I could get something like a Honda 1500 Watt generator, and plug in my wall charger and plug that into the Yeti. But this causes me to lose some power through the conversion to AC power and then back to DC. Is there a DC setup you have found that is particularly well suited to this challenge?

Comments

• GOAL ZERO ADMIN
    GOAL ZERO ADMIN Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 630 admin
    Options

Hi @Thomas_Darby,

You can charge the Yeti from a gas generator if necessary. Like you mentioned it will not be the most efficient but it certainly can be done with the AC power supply.

You can also use the 12V car charging cable in your vehicle if you would prefer to use a direct DC to DC charger.

• Thomas_Darby
    Thomas_Darby Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    Options

I don't like the thought of wasting petrol running a 2000W generator to feed the Yeti only 100W or so of power. I think I might need to pick up the 600W charging adapter.

Meanwhile, I picked up a portable refrigerator, so sometime this Spring I'll give that a test.