Best Portable Refrigerator

Options
Thomas_Darby
Thomas_Darby Member Posts: 39 ✭✭

Having purchased a Yeti 1500X for my home in case we have a power outage that could last more than 24 hrs, which has happened three times since I moved here, I am now looking at purchasing a portable refrigerator to make it even better.

So my question is, what is the best sort of portable refrigerator to use with a Yeti? I am reading about several units and I am inclined to want a fridge that runs off a 12V auto type power. The Yeti has the same kind of 12V power outlet and this is DC power. By using DC power from the Yeti you avoid the power loss that comes from going through AC rectifier. So, does anyone have any experience with Fridges so I can benefit from your experience?

More Background - I have two fridges, one in the house and one in the garage. My original plan was to use the Yeti 1500X to run the fridge each for 1 hour in the morning. Then using the solar panel I would charge the Yeti during the day. In the evening I would run the fridges for an hour again each. By doing this, I hope to avoid losing the food I have in the fridges.

Now I figure that if I purchased a portable fridge I could run that all day on pass through while I am charging on solar panels, and I can put enough food in that fridge to cover our needs for the day. Once I get the right portable fridge, I will buy another panel or two to help get the solar capacity balanced with the anticipated daily use. But I need to test the portable fridge after I get it to come up with that amount of solar power required.

So if you have some experience with portable fridges, let me know what to look for. Thanks.

Answers

• Thomas_Darby
    Options

I'm still researching portable fridge units. I have learned that there are several things to consider and the first one is how big a space do you need. Of course the bigger the more expensive and heavier. The second thing to consider is will you intend to use it only as a freezer chest or refrigerator chest, or do you want to use it as a freezer and a refrigerator? If you want it to act like both at once, then it costs more, and you need to carefully read about how it accomplishes this. A single use is easy, but the dual use is another matter. The third thing is whether you want one that operates on a compressor like your home refrigerator or would you consider something else (like solid state). It appears to me the compressor units are better right now, but the others may catch up.

So my dilemma right now is if I get one fairly large with a compressor it will be expensive and heavy. If I'm using it in the home as a backup during a power outage, weight might not be a factor. But if I also desire to take it camping then weight may be a large factor.

They appear to come with their own internal battery. Getting comparative information on that hasn't been easy.

• Thomas_Darby
    Options

OK, so I have taken the plunge. I selected a portable refrigerator to pair with my Yeti 1500X.

I have just ordered the ICECO 45L, which is on sale right now on Amazon for $560. Once I get it and give it a test drive, I'll update this post with my thoughts.

Based on the hours of Youtube video I watched, I believe getting a compressor type fridge unit is the best option. Likewise, it is best to get a chest type that opens from the lid like a camping cooler. This is because the cool air stays down in the compartment when you open it up. If you run it, remember the vented openings need to be clear to allow air flow to help the compressor do its job. The 45 liter capacity unit seemed to be the right compromise for size, capacity and weight if I ever want to take it somewhere.

If you want to be prepared for storms like me, stay turned and I'll let you know if I have doubts after I get it. I do a lot of camping, but that won't happen again until about March.

Happy Holidays everyone!

• Hunter_GZ
    Hunter_GZ Administrator Posts: 44 admin
    edited December 2022
    Options

@Thomas_Darby thanks for taking us on our purchasing journey! We would love to hear about the run times you are experiencing with your Yeti 1500X on your portable fridge!

• Thomas_Darby
    Options

Well, it just arrived today. I'm sure a trial run is just around the corner. Stay Tuned.

• Thomas_Darby
    Options

Well, I have not had much time to play with my equipment, but I did run my home fridge off the Yeti 1500X. After 8 hours of normal operation using the AC outlet on the Yeti, the unit ran down to 21%. So maybe I could get ten hours out of it. That exceeds the time shown in the manual.

Still, I'll let you know about my other appliances when I have a chance to play with them. It's been a busy year for me.