Yeti 1000X minimum Input

Options

Is there a minimum input for the 8mm Port? If I connect my panels (Boulder 100BC and/or Nomad 50) my 1000X only starts charging at 25 wats and above! Sometimes just the blue light is solid an I connect the panels to my Sherpa100AC it says 15-20 watts. Back in my 1000X nothing happens! That‘s pretty bad!

Answers

• jg164
    jg164 Administrator, Moderator Posts: 292 admin
    Options

If the blue light is solid, it means that either the Yeti has reached 100% State of Charge OR it means the input power source is detected but is not strong enough to use for charging.

To get the MPPT going it needs at least 14-16V. Loose connectors, long extensions, dirty panels, even partial shading of panels from tall grass on the ground and hazy skies can reduce power generation to unusable levels.

Can you take a picture of your setup when it is not working and describe in more detail what products you are using and how they are arranged and roughly where you are located?

• SundanceKid
    SundanceKid Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    Options

Thank you for your reply.

I‘ll try to make a picture within the next days, when there is better/useable weather.

I understand that when there is low voltage that nothing happens. But imagine-good winterweather, cold, clear blue sky. I put up the Boulder 100BC and plug it in the 8mm Solar with no extension. Solid blue light, Yeti 1000X at about 80%. NO input! 0 Watts! So the „Goal Zero“ is reached…-just kidding.

I take the 8mm Solarplug, put it in my Sherpa 100AC…charging…@ about 15-20 watts. Unchanged weather- or sunlight conditions or angle of the panel. Me…wandering whtas going on…taking the 8mm Solarplug again, puttin it back in the 8mm Solar Port of the 1000X, solid blue light, NO input, 0 watts.

Me thinking that the 8mm Solarport got smoked, taking out my HPP to 4x Solarport Adapter an putting it in the HPP Port of my 1000X. Then…read above…nothing happens…Sherpa is charging, Yeti is not.

Using this Setup in FULL and hardcore summer sun, directly hitting the panel at 90 degree angle - the Yeti ist charing at max. 85-88 watts.

So WTF?

• SundanceKid
    Options

I‘ll try to make a picture within the next days, when there is better/useable weather.

I understand that when there is low voltage that nothing happens. But imagine-good winterweather, cold, clear blue sky. I put up the Boulder 100BC and plug it in the 8mm Solar with no extension. Solid blue light, Yeti 1000X at about 80%. NO input! 0 Watts! So the „Goal Zero“ is reached…-just kidding.

I take the 8mm Solarplug, put it in my Sherpa 100AC…charging…@ about 15-20 watts. Unchanged weather- or sunlight conditions or angle of the panel. Me…wandering whtas going on…taking the 8mm Solarplug again, puttin it back in the 8mm Solar Port of the 1000X, solid blue light, NO input, 0 watts.

Me thinking that the 8mm Solarport got smoked, taking out my HPP to 4x Solarport Adapter an putting it in the HPP Port of my 1000X. Then…read above…nothing happens…Sherpa is charging, Yeti is not.

Using this Setup in FULL and hardcore summer sun, directly hitting the panel at 90 degree angle - the Yeti ist charging at max. 85-88 watts.

So WTF?

• SundanceKid
    Options

I understand that when there is low voltage that nothing happens. But imagine-good winterweather, cold, clear blue sky. I put up the Boulder 100BC and plug it in the 8mm Solar with no extension. Solid blue light, Yeti 1000X at about 80%. NO input! 0 Watts! So the „Goal Zero“ is reached…-just kidding. I take the 8mm Solarplug, put it in my Sherpa 100AC…charging…@ about 15-20 watts. Unchanged weather- or sunlight conditions or angle of the panel. Me…wandering whtas going on…taking the 8mm Solarplug again, puttin it back in the 8mm Solar Port of the 1000X, solid blue light, NO input, 0 watts. Me thinking that the 8mm Solarport got smoked, taking out my HPP to 4x Solarport Adapter an putting it in the HPP Port of my 1000X. Then…read above…nothing happens…Sherpa is charging, Yeti is not. Using this Setup in FULL and hardcore summer sun, directly hitting the panel at 90 degree angle - the Yeti ist charging at max. 85-88 watts.

• JH_YME
    JH_YME Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    Options

I gave been having the same problem for the past 9 months, and there is no resolution from Goal Zero on this thread. Help?!!?!?

• GOAL ZERO ADMIN
    GOAL ZERO ADMIN Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 633 admin
    Options

Hi @SundanceKid @JH_YME,

The panels producing between 15-20W is not sufficient for the Yeti 1000X to recognize as an input. This is why the blue light is solid instead of blinking. Although it can read that there is power coming through, it is too little power for the charge controller.

Does the Yeti charge from the 120W power supply that it comes with?

• Ely
    Ely Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    Options

It's a problem with the Yeti in winter or bad weather conditions. My 1000x won't charge below 20 watts, my Jackery 1000 (old model, not the Pro) takes power from the first incoming watt. So I can get a charge and at the end of the day I got about 200 Wh. 200 Wh are better than nothing.

I'm hopefully the upcoming LFP-Yetis starts charging from the first watt.