possible to charge battery with 6mm output from 3000x

Options
northam
northam Member Posts: 3 ✭✭

Sorry if this has been asked.

I have a 3000x and vehicle link in my truck. Curious if it is possible to use the 6mm outputs to charge a lithium battery in my trailer via its mc4 solar connectors. While driving I could charge both the 3000x and the trailer battery.

I could probably do this with the HPP but I think would be easier to use the 6mm ports.

Thanks

Answers

• jg164
    jg164 Administrator, Moderator Posts: 299 admin
    Options

@northam,

What is the model number and cell chemistry of the Lithium battery?

• northam
    Options

@jg164 its a Battleborn Lifepo4 battery (In my trailer)

Thanks so much!

• jg164
    jg164 Administrator, Moderator Posts: 299 admin
    Options

@northam,

There are a few models of LiFePO4 offered by Battleborn. Is the battery 12V or 24V?

I ask because when charging a battery, you need to know what all the charge state and temperature thresholds are.

If it's a 12V LiFePO4 like their BB10012 model, then here are the specs from the manual. Even with a built in BMS these batteries still need a charge controller that will meet their needs.

How to Properly Charge the Batteries

To properly charge your Battle Born batteries, you will want to verify that any charging component in your system is capable of being programmed for the following specifications. Charging components can include, but are not limited to converters, inverter chargers, solar charge controllers, DC to DC chargers, etc.

• Bulk/Absorption: 14.2V – 14.6V

• Absorption Time: Two batteries in parallel connections require 30 minutes 200Ah

• Float: 13.4V – 13.8V

• Equalization: 14.4V/ Disabled

• Temperature Compensation: 0/Disabled

• Charge Rate: 50% of the battery or battery bank capacity

• Battery Charge Temperature Range: 32°F (0°C) to 131°F (55°C)

• Battery Discharge Temperature Range: -4°F (-20°C) to 140°F (60°C)

• Cell Charge Temperature: 32°F (0°C) to 131°F (55°C)

• Cell Discharge Temperature: -4°F (-20°C) to 140°F (60°C)

NOTE: Not all chargers are capable of multistage charging. If yours is not, you will want to verify it can be programmed for the Bulk/Absorption voltage and have the other items mentioned disabled if applicable. Consult your charger’s manual or the manufacturer.

High Voltage Disconnect (> 14.7V)

If an individual cell voltage exceeds a prescribed threshold during charging, the BMS will prevent a charge current from

continuing. Discharge is always allowed under this condition. If the batteries have not been balanced for a long time,

high voltage disconnect could occur at a lower voltage. The batteries will rebalance after several full charges.

Low-Voltage Disconnect (< 10.6V)

If an individual cell falls below a prescribed threshold during discharge, the BMS will prevent further discharge. Although

the battery is in “low-voltage disconnect” mode, it will still allow a charging current.

NOTE: Many chargers must detect a voltage over 10V to send a charge to the battery. Please be aware that some chargers may not sense a battery in low-voltage

disconnect and you may need to jump it with a 12V source to “wake up” the battery. You should jump your battery within 24hrs of entering low-voltage disconnect

otherwise you risk damaging your battery and voiding the warranty.

The Yeti 3000X 6mm output port provides 12V up to 10A. The HPP 12V out goes up to 30A. If the internal resistance of the LiFePO4 battery is not high enough, as soon as you connect a port to the battery it will likely trip for over current as the battery takes as much current as it can handle (Charge Rate: 50% of the battery or battery bank capacity: 100Ah * 0.5 = 50A) even if it does not, it will not be able to charge the battery to full at 12V.

You might check out adding solar to charge the Trailer battery. If you add Solar panels to the Trailer via roof mounted or portable ones. Victron has a few MPPT charge controllers that have programmable charge limits that are compatible with Goal Zero solar and LiFePO4 batteries.

• northam
    Options

@jg164 It is a 12v battery. I do have a 30 amp charge controller on that battery..EPEVER MPPT solar charge control 30amp. That is why I was hoping I could connect either the HPP or 6mm output from the Goal Zero. I could probably do it with the HPP but I would rather use the 6mm port...however I can't find an adapter that goes 6mm to MC4. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks so much really appreciate you taking the time to read and respond

• Ironworker2134
    Ironworker2134 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    Options

I would not try it. If you blow the fuse you will have to send it back to goal zero

• Ironworker2134
    Ironworker2134 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    Options

My yeti 1000 has this fuse blown the previous owner did something to it. It's too dangerous to fix.