200X or 500X?

Options

The 200X is on sale right now for $240 and the 500X is $550 not on sale.

What is different besides storage capacity that is meaningful camping? Are any significant updates pending?

I am mainly looking to jump start a dead car battery with the small charger I typically carry and top off a cellphone and flashlights.

I want to get away from 'wrangling' and managing a bunch of battery banks on USB chargers.

TIA,

Sid

Answers

• Thomas_Darby
    Thomas_Darby Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    Options

Well, of course the 200 is lighter and smaller. The 200 has a single AC outlet and may supply 120W sustained power while the battery lasts.

The 500 is larger and heavier, of course. The 500 has two AC outlets, and they may supply 300W sustained power while the battery lasts. I suspect the 300W output may be the combined output for both AC plugs, not each.

Other than that, I didn't note any differences when I read the specifications. The number of ports and output of each of them is the same. The "8mm input" port on the 500 accepts a little more power.

I have a 200X and two Nomad 20s to charge it. It is great for allowing me to charge devices on camping trips. With 200 Wh of power, it is fine if we have a cloudy day. I have enough power to go an extra day without recharging it. With 2-Nomad 20s it will charge in 6 hours if we have a clear sky and the weather is not so hot that the temperature breakers have to shut it down. If you're going to be running laptops on camping trips you may want to go for the 500X. It really comes down to what you need to power and will 200 Wh be enough for you between charges.

Good luck and enjoy.