induction cooktop

Options
CAS
CAS Member Posts: 4 ✭✭

Hi, I really want an induction cooktop in our kitchen, but the logistics for putting in a 240 v outlet where it needs to be are horrendous. Is there a battery that can run off of a 120 v outlet but provide sufficient power for an induction cooktop? I have a Yeti 3000, but could get a higher powered one -- it really would be cheaper than all of the work needed to create a 240 v outlet.

And, I'm guessing this won't work, but I would appreciate an explanation as to why.

Thanks!

Answers

• RobertG
    RobertG Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    Options

IDK the answer to your specific question but electric cooktops, stoves, ovens, toasters and space heaters (and window A/C or heater) draw way too much current to be practical to use extensively / regularly with even large batteries IMO. Even 117V/1500W is a big "ask". My 1000x will not run those kinds of things for more than maybe 40 minutes max but running office equipment, computers, TVs one can get a LOT more time out of it. If you're cooking breakfast at a campsite and can spare the capacity, maybe. If your spouse has to have "range anxiety" over every meal she cooks in the house, might result in a spousal veto. Your mileage of course can and will vary.

I doubt 240V to the stove is a more horrendous cost than a Yeti 6000 plus a tank battery or three -- and it's going to be more convenient and reliable. Don't cut off your nose to spite your face ;-)

• CAS
    CAS Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the feedback! We really do have a problem with putting a 240 v outlet where it's needed -- an island cooktop, currently gas and with just a 120 v outlet there, and a post-tension slab floor to get through to put the electrical outlet in (what were the previous owners who built this house thinking? -- if they had just put in a 240 v outlet, this would be simple). We could put the cooktop elsewhere and demolish walls and ceilings, but I'm really not up for a total kitchen remodel (what does that accomplish when one is trying to be sustainable?), and I doubt that I could provide a fiscally responsible reason for the remodel to my husband. I just want to use a renewable source of energy for cooking (and we have solar panels that more than take care of our house). But I'll look at the more powerful Yetis. Thanks for that thought.

• RobertG
    RobertG Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    Options

I don't know that any of the Yetis have, or can be converted to produce, 240v / 3 phase. No idea how one would go about that. Definitely wait for a GoalZero employee to weigh in on that one.

Induction is supposed to be more efficient than other forms of electric cooking, so there's that :-)

• Thomas_Darby
    Thomas_Darby Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    Options

I'm watching a Youtube Video right now where a fellow is powering his van's dual burner induction stovetop.

The poster is Ankeney Van Builds and the title of the video is ... Van Build Induction Stove vs Goal Aero Stress Test. He appears to be running the test using a Yeti 1500X.

I think if you watch the video and then try to get in touch with him you might learn what you want to know. Best of luck. Happy Holidays.