Polarities on SAE cable?

Options
JFlo
JFlo Member Posts: 2 ✭✭

Hello,

I'm looking to connect my Boulder 200 Briefcase w/ 20amp controller to my travel trailer, which has a Furion port. I found the correct 2-pin adaptor which will allow me to connect the 2, but the adaptor (found here) came with a polarity reversal connection, which makes me wonder if all SAE connections are set up the same or not. Can anyone verify that the MALE plug coming from the GZ setup is the POSITIVE wire, and will work correctly with the FEMALE POSITIVE plug of the adaptor I'd like to use?

Answers

• jg164
    jg164 Administrator, Moderator Posts: 287 admin
    Options

Hi @JFlo!

Since SAE can be a sending or receiving connector, using a multimeter to sort out polarity and continuity is key to hooking things up correctly all the way through to your charge controller.

I would first use a multimeter's DC voltage setting to see which pin is the positive one coming from your SAE cable while it is connected through your trailer all the way to your solar panels.

Here is a side view of the 20A charge controller. The solar input has + on the left and - on the right

Here is the SAE cable that goes with this controller

Spade to SAE Cable – Goal Zero

Near the bottom of the product page it says:

• "SAE Polarity: Silver Pin positive, Female Plastic negative

I would double check which fork is connected to which pin with a multimeter's continuity setting before connecting this cable to your SAE and 20A charge controller.

Once you have verified everything with a multimeter you should be good to make the connections and know if you need to use your SAE polarity flipping coupler or not.

Let me know if this helps!