Wall Charger very hot

Options
JRohrer
JRohrer Member Posts: 1 ✭✭

I have a new Yeti 1500 that I use as a battery backup for two cpap machines. As per the instructions I setup the battery to always be plugged into the wall. I placed the charging adapter under the top door.

The AC adapter gets very hot. It got so hot that it discolored the plastic underneath where the adapter was sitting.

Is this normal? It seems unsafe to have the AC adapter plugged in all the time if it gets hot enough to discolor plastic.

Answers

• Garahan
    Garahan Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    Options

I wouldn't put it in there. I set mine on it's side on top, that way you get 3 sides of cooling. Once the battery is charged all the way the charger will cool off during - "Keep Topped Off Mode". Putting it under the lid with the lid closed is not recommended. It could be on on top with the lid closed or on something heat safe that won't melt or burn. Safety first JRoher 😉

Garahan

• Thomas_Darby
    Thomas_Darby Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    Options

I agree with Garahan.

I store my adapter under the "hood" when I'm not using it. But I don't have it there when I am charging it from the wall. When I take the Yeti 1500X outdoors and use it in the summer, I also don't store the adapter under the hood. The system is sensitive to heat so I don't want to introduce heat to any of the components without good reason. I even block my Yeti 1500X off the floor with two scraps of wood.

The electronics needed to run the system are sensitive to heat. The battery cells are sensitive to heat. In efficiencies in the system converting energy from one form to another create heat instead of "wanted" energy. So we will have heat we don't want and this heat can damage the components. So I take some small precautions to mitigate the heat to keep it away from the sensitive components as far as I am able. I intend to take mine camping in June, through September, so there are portions of the day when the system can't run anyway.

• JPS1957
    JPS1957 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Options

I just received and set up my 1500x today and the AC adapter is literally too hot to touch while it is charging. Seems to me that is a fire hazard waiting to happen. Now I’m afraid to leave it plugged in all the time. Is GOALZERO absolutely sure this AC charger isn’t under-rated for the application?

I just took the temperature of the top surface of the AC charger (it is in the open on the floor indoors) and it is 120 degrees F. Do I have a defective unit?

• Pix007
    Pix007 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

I just bought a new Goal Zero Yeti 1500x and my included 120v AC power adapter that came with the battery bank also gets extremely hot as mentioned in previous comments. Also the blue input light blinks, not lit solid like my other Goal Zero banks.

Hot power supply does not seem normal or safe.

Did I receive a bad AC adapter or battery bank Goal Zero? I'm surprised no one from the company has responded to this thread.

• JPS1957
    JPS1957 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Options

I ended up purchasing the X 600W power supply. Much larger rating than the one that comes with the 1500X and it runs a lot cooler.

I was also told by customer service that the power supply should NOT be operating and stored in the top compartment.

• Pix007
    Pix007 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

I too noticed that the charging brick gets extremely hot to the touch. I have many charging bricks on other devices, including Goal Zero, and none gets this hot. I contacted Goal Zero and they said this is normal. I assure you, this is not normal. It tells me there is a overload or short somewhere in the brick or wiring that is a liability waiting to happen. I wonder if there is a bad batch or poor quality control that needs to be addressed. I have many products from Goal Zero and this is the first, and disappointing, product I'm afraid to leave plugged in. The battery bank itself is fine, just the charging brick needs a recall.

• Ironworker2134
    Ironworker2134 Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    Options

Can I charge with more than one power supply. Can I charge with solar and a120ac power supply.

• GOAL ZERO ADMIN
    GOAL ZERO ADMIN Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 662 admin
    Options

Hi @Ironworker2134,

The Yeti X line does not allow charging from both Solar and 120V. This is because the Yeti X can only use one input port at a time. If the HPP port is in use, then the 8mm ports will not work. The front 8mm port is in use, the one under the lid will not work.