Charging Sherpa 100 PD from Nomad 20

Options
chas53
chas53 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭

If I chain 2 Nomad 20's together to recharge my Sherpa 100PD, does that increase (double) the rate of charge?

Best Answer

• GOAL ZERO ADMIN
    GOAL ZERO ADMIN Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 633 admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @chas53

The USB is what will limit the power output of the Nomad 20. If the single Nomad 20 panel was producing more than the 10.5W max of the USB, you would still only get 10.5W from the USB. That is why the 8mm port is included. Since the Sherpa 100PD only charges via the USB-C, you would be limited to the 10.5W of the USB-A connection on the Nomad 20 panel.

Chaining a second panel will not increase the max output of the USB-A connection.

Answers

• chas53
    chas53 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

I asked the question because the Sherpa 100 PD charges from the USB port, so my question really regards the USB output of the Nomad 20. Is the USB output of the Nomad 20 limited to 2.1A even if another Nomad 20 is chained to it? Is it limited by the USB output converter, or the energy collected by the panel? It's not clear because a single Nomad 20 (20W) can only supply 10.5 W at the USB. Is the USB converter that inefficient (52.5%), or is it limited to 10.5 watts regardless of the energy available from the solar panel(s)?

Thanks

• Jccst2
    Jccst2 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

I have a sherpa 100pd and nomad 20. The sherpa says charging at 2-3W when i have a usb c plugged into the sherpa from the nomad. However, when i check the charge of the sherpa, it is always lower than when i started. Any advice on what is going on here?