Bad smell Yeti 150

Options

9:06AM

I have a yeti 150. It was beeping so I plugged it in overnight to charge. I woke up this s morning to a very odd chemical smell throughout the house that got stronger as I approached the yeti. 

The unit was quite warm on the top and sides and the block on the charger cord. 

I pressed a button and can see on the display that the battery is now fully charged. 

When plugged in, the smell was strong and permeated the entire house. Is this safe to use or has something gone wrong with the battery etc? 

please advise. Thank you

Answers

  • GOAL ZERO ADMIN
    GOAL ZERO ADMIN Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 641 admin
    edited January 11
    Options

    Hello @BKjeMa

    We are sorry to hear about your experience with the Yeti 150. We recommend keeping everything unplugged. It is also a good idea to do a battery disconnect. Unscrew the lid and disconnect the cables connect to the battery. Please email us with your proof of purchase and photos of the Yeti 150 and we will see if there are any warranty options available.

    Email: support@goalzero.com

  • Earley14
    Earley14 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    Options

    I too had the same experience- unit beeping plugged it in overnight woke up to a terrible smell.

    unplugged and smell disappated. Is this safe? Toxic battery?


    please advise

  • GOAL ZERO ADMIN
    GOAL ZERO ADMIN Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 641 admin
    Options

    Hi @Earley14,

    It is not toxic. We suggest following the steps in our last post and contacting our solution center through the email provided above.

  • mbkglobal1
    mbkglobal1 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    Options

    I too have literally just had the same experience; it started beeping this weekend and I also have the odor;

    It has not been plugged in; I had it stored in the Goal Zero case.

    I have my purchase information and will write to you now.

    Thank you,

  • Annelise
    Annelise Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    Options

    I woke up smelling what I thought was a gas leak so I vacated the house and called the gas company. They came out and discovered it was my Yeti150. They said to unplug it because it could explode.

    After leaving it unplugged, it started making buzzing noises that would not stop. I had to cover it with blankets to muffle the sound. Now that noise has stopped but it starts to randomly beep. I am afraid to plug it back in because of what the gas company had told me.

    What can I do about this issue? Thanks for your help.

  • GOAL ZERO ADMIN
    GOAL ZERO ADMIN Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 641 admin
    Options

    Hi @Annelise,

    We do not suggest plugging the unit back in at this point. If you would like to make the beeping stop, you can disconnect the battery. This is done by removing the top cover and sliding the terminal off the connection. For further assistance, please contact our solution center with the link below.