Charge via USB-C PD (In/Out) Not Consistently Documented Across User Guides

Options
GZLFS
GZLFS Member Posts: 9 ✭✭

I have a lot of GZ Yeti's of various sizes. I've been putting together a little cheat sheet with key specs for reference. While recording the 500x specs I saw this note in the guide:

"Charge your Yeti using the 60W USB-C PD input/output port by plugging into any USB-C charger.

NOTE: You can plug into both the 8mm input port and the USB-C input/output port at the same time to receive up to a combined 180 watts."

I never really picked up on that & didn't recall seeing a similar note about being able to charge my 1500x or 3000x using the 60W USB-C PD input/output port. For the 500X, this could be especially handy.

I went back & double-checked the guides. There's a diagram showing the 60W USB-C PD input/output port, but no note (that I can find) stating that you can charge the Yeti using that port as well.

Once I figured out that the main USB button has to be turned on before the Yeti's will accept the charge, I tested charging the 500X, 1500X, & 3000X via the 60W USB-C PD input/output port. All worked fine.

So, is that an editorial mistake or left out on purpose?

Comments

• GOAL ZERO ADMIN
    GOAL ZERO ADMIN Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 633 admin
    Options

Hi @GZLFS,

This note was purposely not included with the larger units since they can input a larger amount than the 500X can. The larger units max out at 600W and typically will not accept more power than that. The 500X maxes out at 120W of input but you can increase that by using the USB-C input.

• jg164
    jg164 Administrator, Moderator Posts: 291 admin
    edited October 2023
    Options

@GZLFS,

The reasoning I have heard from a few people is:

Q: "Can you charge the larger Yetis from the USBC port?" - Yes

Q: "Is using the USBC port to charge the larger yetis going to be fast enough to be something we can recommend as an input source that is going to feel useful?" - At 60W, Not really. Best to use the 120W or better yet the 600W power supply instead.

Fun fact: Only the USBC input/output port (and the EC8 port that you can connect a Link module to for the larger Yetis) bypass the MPPT charge controller and tap right into the Pack. This is why you can boost charging above the 600W max on say the larger yetis like the 6000X. With all 3 max inputs combined you can theoretically get:

6000X ideal Max charge rate = HPP(600W)+Link(750W)+USBC(60W)=1410W into the battery at the same time.