How to connect and use with a camper trailer and power for home

Options
kbud
kbud Member Posts: 2 ✭✭

I would like to use a Yeti 3000 generator with my camper trailer when we are camping without electrical hookup.

1. I have a cord that plugs into a 120 outlet from my my camper. Is this what I would use to plug into the generator.
  2. If I plug into the generator with the camper would I be able to use an oxygen machine throughout the night assuming I had enough charge on the generator? In other words, would be electrical outlets work vs only my usb outlets?
  3. I've not purchased the generator yet, is it noisy. Most campgrounds have a quiet time, is this generator quiet? I'm assuming it is since its not running off of gas. I'm looking for a viable way to provide power to my husbands oxygen machine so we can go up in altitude.
  4. Lastly, I'd like this generator as a back up when we loose power at home. What else would I need to purchase to connect to the fuse box?
  5. I have a 100 w solar panel. Is this enough to keep this generator recharged or should I purchase the 200.

Best Answer

• Weandem
    Weandem Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hey Kbud. I bought the yeti 1500 for my rv build and it's worked great. First, it's silent unless it gets hot then a very quiet fan kicks on to cool it. Its rarely turned on for me. It can be charged from a regular household outlet with the charger that is bought separately, so if you have shore power available, youre good, and at home there's nothing you need to do but plug it in and leave it. I have a single 100 watt solar panel that charges surprisingly fast, even faster than when charged from a wall socket. For a larger unit, I would definitely get at least double that, probably a little more. My unit has a built in inverter that powers regular household 100 outlets that can be turned on and off and I assume the 3000 does too. I would "guess" you'd be able to run your oxygen machine all night based on my experience, but the question is how fast would it recharge during the day for the next evening. I would look at the power requirements for the oxygen unit and then determine how much power you would need for the number of hours it will be used. Then figure out what percentage of battery use it would take, perhaps a call to Goal Zero would be the simplest way. I'm not an expert by any means, but I think it will work well for your needs.

Answers

• kbud
    kbud Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

Hi Weandem, Thank you for your answer! Do you plug your camper into the generator using the 120 converter?

Thanks for the information about charging. I have a 100 watt solar panel that I plug into the camper to charge my camper battery, but would like to be able to use some of the outlets and perhaps my microwave if I can plug into the generator. I know, I know.....definitely glamping!! :)