New Sherpa 100 AC connection question?

Options
Romanot
Romanot Member Posts: 5 ✭✭

hi my question is twofold. Can I leave a new Sherpa 100 AC connected to say 100 - 200 watts of solar via the goal zero (high power port to 8mm connector) and is there a way to get power back out of the unit to a power pole connection via some type of adapter? Thanks!

Best Answer

• jg164
    jg164 Administrator, Moderator Posts: 285 admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Romanot ,

1. Can you leave the solar plugged in all the time, yes. The Sherpa will manage stopping flow when its full.
    2. There are no official supported adapters but you may be able to find something USB to APP online

Answers

• Romanot
    Options

JG164,

Thank you very much. So to be clear the high power port to 8mm will work, but you don't know of or can't recommend any adapters back the other way?

Thanks,

tim

• jg164
    Options

@Romanot,

The New Sherpa 100 AC 8mm port is for input only.

Can you give me an example of what you want to power from the Sherpa that uses HPP connectors?

• Romanot
    Options

Totally understand the 8mm being for import... Makes sense.

Basically I want a solution for the back of my camper that can just power lights when I use it on a day to day basis. LEDs. They draw almost nothing. I have a yeti 1400 that will live in there for big trips but don't want to leave it back there 100% of the time for both weight and theft reasons. I figure if I have a Sherpa it's easy to hide, very versatile for other things like charging a headlamp, etc... And if it gets stolen its a few hundred bucks versus a couple K. My conundrum is going back out power wise to this (picture attached). Maybe the sherpa isn't my answer and something like the yeti 200X is? Just love the idea of how thin the sherpa is.

• jg164
    Options

What kind of power do the LED lights need ( Voltage, Current, AC or DC? Are they USB? )

• Romanot
    Options

That's a good question. there's fans too... Can't seem to find specs from manufacturer, but know they all work with my Yeti 1400 and the outlet I showed above. Sorry...

• GOAL ZERO ADMIN
    GOAL ZERO ADMIN Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 627 admin
    Options

Hi @Romanot.

From your description, it seems like the Sherpa 100AC will not work with the set up you have. We would suggest Yeti 200X as this comes with a 12V port on it, which you can use convert to an HPP connection.

• Romanot
    Options

Thank you. Can you confirm goal zero adapters in and out when you have a sec?

Really appreciate it!

• jg164
    Options

@GOAL ZERO ADMIN I am not seeing a GoalZero product that will adapt the 200X output from either Cig or 6mm to HPP. Can you look into getting a new product added to enable 200X users to use low load HPP?

@Romanot , It looks like Amazon has some options for Cig to HPP(referred to as Anderson PowerPole) like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Cigarette-Extension-Connector-Compatible-PowerPole/dp/B097XQ2P6D/

(Note: you assume all risks when using 3rd party parts):

• jg164
    Options

@Romanot,

Also note this other Sherpa discussion may help you find a usbc to HPP solution, again not an officially supported workaround by Goal Zero so you assume all risks and are on your own working out the details.