Add a LiFePO4 battery to 1500X using Link Expansion Module?

Options
enakffej
enakffej Member Posts: 1

I am using a 1500x in a camper van and just got the vehicle integration kit. I would also like to add 200ah of capacity. AGM batteries are too heavy compared to lithium iron phosphate batteries. I saw a post from last Sept. saying that GoalZero is looking into offering LiFePo expansion tank batteries, but don't see any yet.

I know that LiFePo batteries have a different charging and voltage profile than AGM, but I am wondering what the risks are of connecting a LiFePo battery to the Link module, both (1) to charge the 1500x and (2) to be charged through the Link?

From this post, it looks like charging the 1500x from a LiFePo will work fine, but perhaps I'll want a separate charger for the LiFeP, which is something I'd prefer to avoid (I got the 1500x to simplify my system, not have two separate charging systems)?: https://community.goalzero.com/discussion/comment/795#Comment_795

Based on experience or the different chemistry/charging profiles, do I definitely not want to try charging a LiFePo from the Link module, or is the sort of thing I can try out and see how well it does? Is it possible GoalZero could update the firmware for the Link to add support for charging LiFePo batteries? Or can the 1500x charging controller somehow be used to also charge the backup LiFePo battery?

Thanks!

Answers

• jg164
    jg164 Administrator, Moderator Posts: 286 admin
    Options

@enakffej,

When using a YetiX+Link+Tank(s), the Yeti can only take power from the tank, it can not charge the Tank(s). Goal Zero offers a few ways of charging the Tanks.

1. 8mm input on the front of the Link (150W/10A max). Works with the 120W Yeti X power supply ( comes with the Link )
    2. The Victron 30A MPPT kit to charge Tank(s) with Solar. (400W/30A max). It has a rotary switch that can be set to different battery chemistry charge profiles including LFP = 7.

The Vehicle Integration Kit(the Link in "Car" mode hooked to the Van alternator), is not intended to be used with any tanks because the Link does not have a way to protect/recharge any kind of battery when the power source is in parallel to the batteries. Its also not a good idea because the Alternator might get overworked trying to charge more than it can handle, especially at idle.

Since Goal Zero does not officially offer warranty backed support for LFP batteries and the VIK is also not compatible I do not have a better response than this for now.

Keep your eyes on our social channels and email newsletter for future products!

• Mholybee
    Mholybee Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

I don’t understand why goalzero doesn’t add lithium ion batteries expansion capability for their lithium ion portable power systems. Why would anyone want to expand with lead acid batteries?

• GOAL ZERO ADMIN
    GOAL ZERO ADMIN Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 627 admin
    Options

Hi @Mholybee,

We have made LiFePO4 expansion batteries for the Yeti Pro 4000. Unfortunately, they are not compatible to the X line units but we are moving over to lithium expansion batteries instead of lead acid batteries. At the time the Yeti Lithium battery were created, the chemistry they used could not be chained or connected to other lithium batteries, which is why we chose to use lead acid batteries.