Yeti400 Lithium can't power my laptop?!

Options
kznight
kznight Member Posts: 3 ✭✭

I bought a Lithium400 primarily to power my Alienware 17" R3 laptop and the laptop is powered with a 240w ac adapter. I plug this into the Yeti400 Lithium and it goes right into overload. This thing is supposed to have 1200 watts of surge power, which should cover any 'surge' but since the AC Adapter is 240w, I can't see it trying to provide power beyond that spec even with a surge. I can't figure out what's going on. I've owned the Yeti for a couple years now and used it for other power duties, but would love to find out why it won't power a little power hungry laptop that's well within spec output of the Yeti400 Lithium.

Thanks all!

Comments

• kznight
    Options

Additional info: Specs for the Ac Adapter from the Dell/Alienware Website:

Type • 180 W • 240 W

Input voltage 100 VAC–240 VAC

Input frequency 50 Hz–60 Hz

Input current • 2.34 A • 2.50 A • 3.50 A

Output current • 9.23 A • 12.30 A

Rated output voltage 19.50 VDC

• Yoko
    Yoko Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Options

If you only connect the power supply (without the laptop) does it cause the same issue?

Could be a compatibility issue, have seen this with other inverters and laptop power supplies. Can't explain it though :-D

• kznight
    Options

Interesting idea. I will try that when I get home and detail how it goes with just AC Adapter alone, then plugged in to the laptop not powered up (battery charging may be active), and then pressing the power button on the laptop.