1500X MPPT board replacement

rconiv
rconiv Member Posts: 5 ✭✭

Does anyone know where I can get a MPPT board for a 1500X? I got my system used at an REI garage sale, and since you can't really test solar in a store, I didn't know that didn't work till I got it home. Since it was used, it isn't covered by warranty. One of the AC jacks was bad also.

I have already tried doing multiple resets and firmware updates and the solar and one A/C port doesn't work. I opened it up and found if I moved the connectors for the two AC ports, the issue followed, but I still couldn't charge through solar.

Got all the way to the point of disconnecting and dropping the battery out so I could pull the MPPT board, to see if any components were obviously failed or there was bad solder joints but I didn't see anything.

I have tried to charge it with multiple different boulder 100 and nomad 200s, with different charging cables to rule out the solar arrays or charging cables. They work fine on my 400's and 150X.

Outside of that, it has worked great. Do need to see about getting the 440 charger for it.

Answers

• jg164
    jg164 Administrator, Moderator Posts: 285 admin

@rconiv,

If you have not been able to get a charge through the HPP or 8mm ports (No watts in an the blue LED does not blink at all), there is still the USBC input and the module port (under the lid under a screwed on cover) which bypass that board. Unfortunately we do not offer MPPT PCBs for sale. You can try to add an MPPT module to get this unit to work.

• rconiv
    edited May 2023

I actually got the MPPT module, and nothing charges through it either. I had one Goal Zero person tell me it should work, and after I got it, another said it wasn't for that system, and wouldn't work, so yea.

When I plug AC into the one that doesn't work, it is just solid blue instead of blinking blue, and the display doesn't show any charging happening. The same thing happens with the MPPT module, and I also couldn't get the screws it came with to screw in to hold it in place, and getting the USB micro-d cable to not get crimped in there because it was a small pocket was tough.

In the description for the module, it says this "Not compatible with X line power supplies, only compatible with Yeti LI power supplies." What does that mean? Does it not work with the power cord that came with the 1500X or does it mean something else?

• jg164

The MPPT module should work on any Yeti with the module port, It was just designed to add a better version of solar charge controller to the original Yeti Lithium power stations that did not come with an integrated MPPT charge controller. The MPPT module really is not compatible with the Yeti X power supplies because it was designed much earlier that they were released and will likely not be updated to work with them but should work with all our 8mm and HPP solar.

If the Yeti is on any charge profile other than Performance, charging will stop below 100%.

Since you are having issues getting power into the Yeti from pretty much all sources ( Still have not seen in your replies if you were able to charge Via the USB-C input), I would recommend trying a Battery Shutdown.

Let me know if any of this helps.

• rconiv

I don't know if it was due to the last firmware update, or from either completely disconnecting the battery for a while or doing the battery shutdown, but I plugged the MPPT module back in, and the system charges with the 120V A/C in the lower jack, not sure what the upper one is for, but it thinks about charging, but then does nothing. It also charged with solar when plugged into the lower 8mm jack on the MPPT module, though it seems it has to pass a certain threshold of wattage before it will engage. If my Nomad 100 is in partial sun it won't charge, but in full sun it will charge at around 7 to 18 watts.

What is the difference between the upper 8mm jack and the lower one on the MPPT module?

I haven't tried the USB, because one of the built in 8mm still works charging with the 120V A/C cord, just not solar. The other 8mm is fried or has a bad solder somewhere on the circuit board because if I swap the connectors internally, the issue follows.

• jg164

I have not dealt much with the MPPT module but from asking around both 8mm ports and the HPP port seem to be all tied in parallel to the same input circuit, must be a bad solder joint or something. There is no designed feature difference between the top and bottom 8mm ports.

7-18W is pretty bad for a Nomad 100. Is that the max you get for any of the solar panels you have?

Partial shading will reduce solar power really fast unless you have a large enough array ( more panels in parallel or larger panels ).

Glad you are getting some power in!