Yeti 500X to charge Macbook Pro 16''

Options
yyy
yyy Member Posts: 1 ✭✭

When using USB-C PD to charge a Macbook Pro 16'' the charge does not work, but only the Macbook rings continuously. Also, the Yeti's display shows 0 W from Output. Is this particular unit wrong? I purchased 2 of them and they acted the same. In the advertised video here (https://www.goalzero.com/collections/portable-solar-generator-kits/products/goal-zero-yeti-500x-portable-power-station-boulder-100-briefcase-kit) shows the Yeti can charge Macbook Pro through USB-C PD. Can someone tell me what is wrong here? Why I can't charge the laptop with USB-C PD?

Thanks!

Answers

• GOAL ZERO ADMIN
    GOAL ZERO ADMIN Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 630 admin
    Options

Hi @yyy

We are sorry to hear about the issue you are having with your 500X. Do you happen to know the firmware on the unit? You can check this by holding the Units and Lights buttons at the same time. The number that comes up on the right hand side of the screen will be the firmware. Can you also send us an email with your proof of purchase? Our email is support@goalzero.com.

• jrm_ca
    jrm_ca Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    Options

@yyy and @GOAL ZERO ADMIN , did you solve this issue? I just bought a Yeti 500X and the USB-C PD port will not charge any of my laptops — including a 2021 Macbook Pro 16" M1, a 2020 Macbook Air M1, a 2016 Macbook Pro 13", and 2022 Dell Precision 7670 — or an iPhone 12 Mini (it continuously cycles between charging and not charging over about a 6 second interval). If I press and hold the Units and Light button to view the firmware, I see 118 next to a flashing percent sign. I've also tried resetting (holding the “Units” and “Info” button for 3 seconds) a few times, but it made no difference.

• Glenn
    Glenn Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    Options

Same issue here. Brand new Yeti 500X. Software version 118. I also reset and that didn’t help.

if I had to guess, I’d say the USB PD negotiation is failing, possibly because the MacBook is asking for 90 watts, but the 500X only wants to supply 60 and they can’t agree on 60 watts.

Please let me know soon or I may have to return it.

• GOAL ZERO ADMIN
    GOAL ZERO ADMIN Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 630 admin
    Options

Hi @Glenn,

This is partially the reason as to why it fails with specific item. The main reason is the bidirectionality of the 60W PD port. This causes the MacBook to switch between input and output so fast that nothing happens. This was fixed recently with a firmware update. Please contact our solution center if you are experiencing this with your serial number for them to look into this. Their contact information is below:

• JohnJimenez
    JohnJimenez Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Options

Hellooo. I had a conversation via mail with Bran and he told me that I have to send my unit and Goalzero could send me a new one as a warranty... but he told me that there is no firmware update... so the people who read the thread of this topic and has his 500x ready to update the firmware, they will not.

Or, if there is a firmware update it would be perfect!!

Thanks