Off the grid barn

Options
mwsanders16
mwsanders16 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭

I have: yeti 3000 & (4) Nomad panels; no accessories yet.

i have an off the grid barn that has no wring yet. My idea was to leave the yeti in the barn to power a couple LED lights, trickle charger for motor toys, and maybe a few tools for time to time. I'd like to wire it to a few solar panels permanently mounted on the roof.

1. I'd like to leave the Yeti inside the barn for the cold winter. How would the Yeti handle thru a cold winter?
  2. Any recommendations for stores/installers north of Boston, MA or southern NH (zip 01952)? Despite selling GoalZero, REI had no knowledge of the product and really didn't offer any accessories.
  3. I see writing that you can use multiple nomads with the yeti. I also see placed where it says not to use multiple panels. Can the panels be wired together to the Yeti 3000
  4. thx for the help

Answers

• jg164
    jg164 Administrator, Moderator Posts: 287 admin
    Options

Hi @mwsanders16,

1. No lithium battery products will accept a charge at or below freeing. Check the user manual for complete safe operating and storage temperatures. (PDFs of User manuals can be found at the bottom of goalzero.com).
    2. If you would like help getting solar panels permanently installed on a structure you would need to find an electrician who is qualified to do solar installs and who knows the proper permitting and codes for your city/region. We do not have a network of installers or partners. You may find a handyman on local classifieds. I have never tried it but some people recommend energy sage for quotes and calculations for professional home solar installs https://www.energysage.com/. NOTE: the Nomad panels are for portable use, our Boulder line of solar panels are designed to be portable or installed and have mounting brackets. If you want to use 3rd party panels, make sure your installer knows the input requirements of the Yeti 3000.
    3. If the Nomad panels are 100W use the 8mm 4:1 combiner. For 200-300W GZ panels use the HPP 4:1 combiner. When using extension cords, DO NOT extend the output of a combiner, that needs to plug right into the Yeti. You can add an extension between ONE SOLAR PANEL and ONE COMBINER. If you extend the combiner, things may melt...
    4. You're welcome!
  • mwsanders16
    mwsanders16 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options