Charge 500X from 1000 core using USB-C PD

Options
Homer
Homer Member Posts: 6 ✭✭

I have a 1000 core as my main power station when traveling on the road. I currently charge a 500X using the provided power adapter and the inverter on the 1000 core.

I would like to improve the charging efficiency when I am off grid by charging the 500X using USB-C PD. If I connect the two units via their USB-C PD ports, how can I specify the 1000 core as output and the 500X as input so the charging occurs in the correct direction?

Best Answer

• jg164
    jg164 Administrator, Moderator Posts: 292 admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Homer,

None of the Yetis have a way to command their USB c PD port to act as an output or input using controls on the Yeti. Our newest 2022 model Sherpas can though!

Here are some things to experiment with:

1. Try reconnecting the cable a bunch of times until it happens to work. Try 500X side first, 1000 Core side first etc.
    2. Use a USBC PD 60W car charger in the port of the 1000 C. This will force the 500X to take a charge and will use DC to DC power for less losses.
    3. USB triggers can help (advanced, may require soldering)

Answers

• Homer
    Homer Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the response. I have a Sherpa and am familiar with setting the ports to either input or output.

1. I'll try this to see if I can find consistent behavior. Otherwise, a trial and error method is not optimal for me.
    2. This is a good idea, but for me my powered cooler will always be using the 12v port.
    3. I have been viewing some YouTube videos on this and might play around with this.

The basic answer is that there is no built-in method for the 1000 core to configure the USB-C PD ports as input or output.