Goal Zero Sherpa 100PD laptop charging

Options
adren
adren Member Posts: 2 ✭✭

Hi,

I have just purchased a Goal Zero Sherpa 100PD with the aim to charge my lenovo x250, with its 100W usb-c output port. I have also bought a usb-c adapter (usb c to slim tip).

I fully charged the Sherpa and connected it to the x250 using the provided cable. It does not work, the maximus output on the fluctuates between 3 and 29W that is not only not stable but to less as well. The x250 needs 65W.

So i started to test around a bit. I have a Yeti 200 as well, so i tried to charge the Yeti with the Sherpa: output was 57W.

Then i took the x250 with the usb c adapter and connected it to a wall charger with 65W capacity:it works perfectly, laptop charges.

So it seems everything works fine but somehow the Sherpa does not provide the needed charge to the x250. Any idea why?

thanks

Comments

• jg164
    jg164 Administrator, Moderator Posts: 291 admin
    Options

@adren,

Most 100W USBc ports require a special chip enabled cable to get the 20V(100W) mode active.

Goal Zero does not sell this cable but there are a lot of options on Amazon. Shorter cables are more likely to provide as close to the 100W spec.

You may also not see the full power draw from the laptop unless its charge is below 70% and any "battery protect" modes are turned off.

Let me know if this helps.

• adren
    adren Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

Thank you for your comment. Yes i followed your recommendation and purchased the appropriate cable. Everything works now like expected. Thank you!