Best way to charge laptop with Yeti 200x?

Options
jn_62
jn_62 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭

I have a new 200x, charges itself fine and phone fine. Why can't I get it to charge my laptop, even with 100% charge, laptop turned off, through 60W PD port overnight? What am I doing wrong?

Best Answer

Answers

• jg164
    jg164 Administrator, Moderator Posts: 291 admin
    edited July 2023
    Options

@jn_62,

Here are some thing to check:

• Cable length and wire gauge. Shorter and thicker wires will help you get the most out of a port.
    • Some USB C cables do not have the needed data wires to allow the port and the device to negotiate charge speeds. Make sure you use a cable that says it can handle both charging and data transfer or the device may not be able to use the default lowest charge rate.
    • There are special "100W" USBC cables that are required for devices and ports to get above 60W charge limits to prevent cable melt and sparks on connect/disconnect. These chipped cables won't allow you to get 100W out of a 60W, 30W, 20W or 18W port but they may help you get the best rate for port and device matching.
    • Some laptops are picky about which power sources they will accept or may consume more power than a usb source can provide just running.
    • One way to tell how much power your laptop needs is to look at the watt rating of the included charger and the battery size of your laptop. Another is to get a kill-a-watt or similar AC watt meter and measure power use of the laptop at full battery but still running, then later measure when the laptop is at like 20% and charging and running to see max consumption.
    • My Lenovo 7i Legion will not charge from a USB source when I am using dGPU. I have to either turn off the dGPU or use the 230W Lenovo charger or I will be out of battery in less than 2 hours while connected to a 45W usb docking station.