Old Goal Zero Guardian limitations

Options
syhiggins
syhiggins Member Posts: 2 ✭✭

I have an original Goal Zero Guardian that I wanted to use to charge RV batteries while camping. I have 4 Nomad 30 solar panels that are mounted on a Goal Zero Tripod. The manual says the guardian is limited to 90 watts.

1. Will the Guarding automatically step down (limit) the input to 90 watts if I hook up a 120 watt solar array, or do I need to unplug one of my 30 watt panels to limit input to 90 watts and avoid damage?
  2. My trailer configures 2 12-volt batteries to get longer 12 volt power. Can I connect the Guardian alligator clips such that it is charging both batteries simultaneously?

Best Answer

• jg164
    jg164 Administrator, Moderator Posts: 291 admin
    edited July 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

@syhiggins,

1. GZ products will limit how much power they take. I like to use more solar than is needed to get max power even when the sky is a little hazy or its really hot outside which both reduce solar panel output. Use all your Boulder 30s ( I am not sure we had a Nomad 30, maybe it was before my time )!
    2. I am not sure why this would not work, it will take longer to charge more than one battery but the voltage levels should be the same for the charge states for 2 parallel connected batteries.

We still have user guides found at the bottom of our main site for the Guardian and the Boulder 30.

Side note, on the Goal Zero Yeti Users Facebook group I saw someone post about putting a Popsicle stick between the Boulder panels on the tripod to help line them up with the sun, no shadow from the stick = bullseye!

Answers